Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IPconfig is blank, internet stops occaisionally

• Please log in to reply

Milktray

Milktray

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a Win XP operating system and when I go to run > cmd > ipconfig the cmd window hangs and does not return anything.

I was trying to run IPconfig to solve another problem of why my 2MB wireless broadband deems it necessary to reconnect often and occasionally disconnect. (I have a netgear wireless router and wireless usb adapter)

Things I have tried:

1, I have installed new netgear drivers from the internet - (this solved a blue screen crash problem I had where there seemed to be an IRQ conflict.)

2, I have checked all TCP/IP settings are checked and on automatic dynamic addressing etc.

Has anyone got any ideas? :tazz:

Advertisements

Milktray

Milktray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
extra info:

When the internet diconnects I can get it to work again by going to network connections and getting windows to repair it, but I seem to have to do this several times a session.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Let's start at the beginning. Bypass the router and see if you have the same trouble.

Johanna

Milktray

Milktray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
sorry for taking a while to reply. Been working quite hard.

Excluding the router from the connection works. i.e. I have not encountered any random failures of connection.

Plugging directly into the router with a wire also works. So I expect that the problem is with my wireless USB adapter.

I'm not sure why this would cause ipconfig to hang though.

I am kinda new to this and am learning new techniques to review how my computer is working. I just looked at eventvwr system and there seems to be a warning saying:

"Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000FB5C5D72D. The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."

I'm not sure what this means or even if it is a problem. Just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks

p.s. I like the pic Johanna

Milktray

Milktray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Does anyone know the answer to this or has the thread just died