Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network problems

• Please log in to reply

ifyouseekay

ifyouseekay

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have two computers. I use a DI-524 router to share the internet between them. The internet on the host computer works almost always (although is completely sucks compared to before I got the router but nevermind that), but the second computer can only connect to the network sometimes. The correct network will show up in the wireless connection list, but it will often not be able to connect to it at all. Once it is able to connect, which seems to be an undeterminable factor, it will usually stay connected until you restart the computer. But that's where it gets really annoying. ANYTIME you restart the computer there is difficulty connecting again. Usually it will eventually connect after 1-3 hours (which is still unacceptable), but I restarted about 17 hours ago and I still have had no luck getting it to connect again.

What can I do, and why does wireless networking have to suck so bad?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi ifyouseekay,

What can I do, and why does wireless networking have to suck so bad?

I try to avoid Wireless whenever I can :tazz:

although is completely sucks compared to before I got the router but nevermind that

Actually, that could be very relevant. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "sucks"; is it slow, glitchy, do you frequently become disconnected?

If both computers are experiencing problems, then it could mean your entire network is not configured properly. However, if it's just the one computer, then it might just mean that that computer has not been added properly.

I would highly recommend the next time you get a connection on the problem computer, that you try to follow the steps located here. I always like to make sure that there is not Malware interference.

When you try to connect your computer to the Network, do you recieve any error messages?

Have you tried connecting your computer directly to the router, via an ethernet cable (or is this not a possibility?)?

The next time you're having problems connecting, please do the following:
Goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK' and then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing Ctrl+C, and then posting on this forum.

Also:
Can you regain a connection by going to Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK'. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternatively for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Are there any errors / warning messages in your Event Log? (To open Event Viewer, goto Start, Run, type EVENTVWR, press 'OK' -- the most relevant log is the System Log.)

When you can't connect, I would suggest power-cycling your network:
  • Power off your computer(s).
  • Shutdown / unplug your modem.
  • Shutdown / unplug your router.
  • Wait two minutes.
  • Power on your modem. Wait until modem is completely restarted before the next step. This may take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your router. Wait until router completely restarts. This also can take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your computer.
Can you regain a connection instantly?

On the PC with the "sucky" connection, please perform a PathPing to Google.com:
Goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: PATHPING Google.com - please copy and paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', and then pressing Ctrl+C. Please post the results here.

Thanks,
Dan.