Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing XP, Files cannot be copied

• Please log in to reply

Derek182

Derek182

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi, I'm trying to install XP on a computer I have. It comes up with messages saying that a file cannot be copied, does it about ten times. It's a used computer from my dad's work, I formatted it since it had a bunch of junk on it. Worked fine before formatting though. Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use Everest to get the make and model of the hard drive then look at the manufacturer's site for a drive set up utility, it needs to have a write zeros to drive option, use the full option, not quick. XP will still want to format and use the default NTFS long format, not quick option

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for storage

If the manufacturer does not have a set up utility, use Boot and Nuke and choose a long option

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Derek182

Derek182

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well I can't do the first one, because I can't install Windows correctly. I forgot to mention, one of the files that doesn't install is needed for the second installation part, after I reboot the first time. At least I think it is, when the second part of the installation begins, it says the file is missing and I need to install it, then it just sits at the installation screen doing nothing.

I tried the second program, doesn't seem like it helped.

By the way, I read on a site that it could be my XP disk. It doesn't seem damaged, except for some spots on it that sort of look like water is dripped on it, but they don't come off.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use boot and nuke if there is no data you need on the PC

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and clean your CD-Rom with a cd-rom cleaner from the store (disc you insert) and the CD (with warm soapy water)...nothing leads to cannot copy files faster than damaged dirty media

Edited by gerryf, 13 January 2006 - 03:55 PM.