Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP starts up and then shuts down

• Please log in to reply

mlgrier3

mlgrier3

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
When I turn the computer on it starts up and I can see the desktop with no icons, and then it automatically shuts itself off. It does this continously. I have booted into safe mode and done a system restore with no luck. I don't have an XP installation disk, so haven't tried to "repair" it that way, any ideas as to what I can do? Thank you.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.