Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

need help upgrading windows explorer

• Please log in to reply

Zenn

Zenn

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I am trying to upgrade my windows explorer from 5.5 to 6. I went to microsoft / support and followed thier directions and suggestions and no help
so far I have
limited my ram, verified the size and location of the swap file, removed anti virus programs, removed internet explorer components [ the only one I had was outlook express ], renamed files advpack.dll to advpack.old, the same with comcat.dll, inseng.dll, jobexec.dll, url.dll, urlmom.dll, and renamed active setup log.txt to old setuplog .txt, removed windows windows update setup files folder, deleted the contents of my temp folder and tried to edit my windows registry but couldnt because the files they said to delete had no option to delete.
after all this it still will not install
the site I got all this from was
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=303399
please help
I am running win me

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
did you get the latest windows updates before doing the ie update?

Zenn

Zenn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried to the update was to install the explorer 6 pack with my update
but it never installed and everytime I try to check my updates now I get that I am not logged in as the administrater and I cant get the update to open on my computer I geta message that iexplore has caused an error in and closes