Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Geforce Bios Flashing

• Please log in to reply

Leroy Lim

Leroy Lim

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey guys, I want to flash a GeForce FX 5200 to get better performance. Any ideas what bios files should i use? I know how to flash the bios into it, just do not know what files to use without killing my graphic card.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The Fx5200 as far as i know used its own core so it cant be flashed to anything else, i may be wrong but i dont think i am.

You can only flash cards to be better if the card is actually a better card they just loaded a different bios onto to get restrict its performance, Eg, a 6800GT usues the same core and memory as a 6800Ultra so you can flash the bios to the 6800Ultra because physically they are almost identical, a 5200 is different from say a 5700 so you cant flash it up to one.

Leroy Lim

Leroy Lim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
So any ideas how to overclock it? I know its slow, but i have to use this for now since im broke.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
There is a program called coolbits and its for nvidia video cards so you can up the core clock speed and memory speed.

I wouldnt use it on that slow 5200 card, kind of pointless. If you go too far you can overheat the video card and you will get artifacts. Usually you go up on the core clock by 5mhz each time. Then save then try it out in a game until you just start to see some artifacts. Then you lower it back down a tad. Its not going to help that 5200 much at all and is really pointless. You will do more harm than good on that card trust me. Get a new video card if you want better performance. :tazz:

http://downloads.gur...oad.php?det=815

If you screw it up I am not responsible. Says clearly when you registered also. If you try it and mess up something its your fault... :)

http://downloads.gur...oad.php?det=815

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ntune overclocks cards as well, at least it did when i had a 5200, you can get a decent overclock on a 5200 it just doesnt amount to much as even if you increase performance by 10% it wont be great as 10% of not alot is not alot. I would just leave it and accept the limitations.