Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Canon BJC-80 printer problem w/HP laptop 10 mo. old

• Please log in to reply

jnulr

jnulr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi folks,

O.K. I've got a relatively new HP ZT3300 Notebook computer with XP home version. All is working fine.

PROBLEM: I've got a "vintage" portable laptop printer (Canon BJC-80) and can't get it to work properly.
Both the printer and notebook have infrared capabilities as well as parallel ports. Printer ONLY has a parallel port.

Here's what's happening: I got windows to add the printer and I get a "brief" infrared connection but then it goes away. The infrared port on both are right next to each other w/o interference from anything else. Still nothing. I've tried deleting the port and allowing windows to re-establish it and have tried a variety of settings for both windows and the printer. The ONLY success I've had getting anything to print is with a Parallel cable but ONLY after turning the printer off and back on again.

Any suggestions in my efforts to debug this problem would be appreciated.

OH! There's nothing of help I've been able to find on the Canon website either.

Thanks!
jnulr :tazz:

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Canon BJC 80 Infrared Print
13th Jan 2006

General Steps -
1- Before beginning to trouble shoot the Infrared port, always ensure that you have the Infrared device enabled in BIOS. – [IrDA]
2- Ensure that the Infrared port is correctly aligned, pointing directly at each other and are no further than one foot.
3- If the device trying to connect to the computer IR port uses batteries, ensure they are working properly.
4- Ensure no other Infrared devices are located in the same area. Some devices such as TV / VCR remotes or other Infrared devices can cause problems with the Infrared port on your computer.
5- If you are attempting to install another Infrared device, ensure that the original Infrared device is completely uninstalled.
6- Do not suspend (Power Management) the computer while using Infrared or during the time that it is active.- Disable BIOS setting – ACPI - (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) A power management specification developed by Intel, Toshiba and Microsoft that makes hardware status information available to the operating system. ACPI enables a PC to turn its peripherals on and off for improved power management especially in portables.

Verify you are using the correct port:

If you are not using the correct Communication Port, the Infrared port will not work properly or at all. To test the available ports:
1- Place the Infrared device near the Infrared port.
2- Click Start / Settings / Control Panel / double-click on Infrared –[IrDA] / Click on Options / Choose another COM port – [that is not currently being used.]
3- Test the Infrared device to determine if the issue is resolved; if not, repeat the above steps to see if the device will work on any other available Communications port.
4- You may have to [Enable] additional COM Port in BIOS

Also Open [Device Manager] – Look at – [Infrared Device] or Ports – [IrDA] - & COM Ports – Not sure what folder – but you are looking for – the [Yellow PROBLEM Signs ] –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 13 January 2006 - 09:25 AM.

jnulr

jnulr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Canon BJC 80 Infrared Print
13th Jan 2006

General Steps -
1- Before beginning to trouble shoot the Infrared port, always ensure that you have the Infrared device enabled in BIOS. – [IrDA]
2- Ensure that the Infrared port is correctly aligned, pointing directly at each other and are no further than one foot.
3- If the device trying to connect to the computer IR port uses batteries, ensure they are working properly.
4- Ensure no other Infrared devices are located in the same area. Some devices such as TV / VCR remotes or other Infrared devices can cause problems with the Infrared port on your computer.
5- If you are attempting to install another Infrared device, ensure that the original Infrared device is completely uninstalled.
6- Do not suspend (Power Management) the computer while using Infrared or during the time that it is active.- Disable BIOS setting – ACPI - (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) A power management specification developed by Intel, Toshiba and Microsoft that makes hardware status information available to the operating system. ACPI enables a PC to turn its peripherals on and off for improved power management especially in portables.

Verify you are using the correct port:

If you are not using the correct Communication Port, the Infrared port will not work properly or at all. To test the available ports:
1- Place the Infrared device near the Infrared port.
2- Click Start / Settings / Control Panel / double-click on Infrared –[IrDA] / Click on Options / Choose another COM port – [that is not currently being used.]
3- Test the Infrared device to determine if the issue is resolved; if not, repeat the above steps to see if the device will work on any other available Communications port.
4- You may have to [Enable] additional COM Port in BIOS

Also Open [Device Manager] – Look at – [Infrared Device] or Ports – [IrDA] - & COM Ports – Not sure what folder – but you are looking for – the [Yellow PROBLEM Signs ] –

Jack123

Thanks! I'll give your suggestions a try.

jnulr