Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange wireless connection problem..

• Please log in to reply

workswonders

workswonders

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a fujitsu siemens m series laptop with built in LAN and I also have a belkin wireless router. My wireless connection was working perfectly up untill the other day and I have changed nothing.

When I switch on the laptop the signal meter reads excellent but after a few minutes it will drop to zero if I disconnect then reconnect it works fine for two mins then the signal strength drops to zero.

Now heres where it gets strange.. When I unplugged the usb device (wireless mouse receiver) and I unplug the power cable the signal is perfect and does not drop! but if I plug any of those things back in ( usb device or power cable) the signal starts going to zero again!??

I'm really confused and stressed out over this because everything was perfect and I don't think I have done anything wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

workswonders

workswonders

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I just can't understand why the power cable and the usb device is affecting it? why does it work when the power cable is unplugged?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so if you use a non usb mouse...with the thing unplugged...it works?

can you check your power settings on the laptop?

workswonders

workswonders

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm sorry to sound silly but where can I check the power settings? and yes when there is no power plugged in or usb devices it works perfectly! what should the power be set to? thanks for your help..

workswonders

workswonders

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm sorry to sound silly but where can I check the power settings? and yes when there is no power plugged in or usb devices it works perfectly! what should the power be set to? thanks for your help..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you right click on your desktop > properties > screen saver > power. look for anything that would be turning off the adapter

workswonders

workswonders

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have changed a few of the settings but its not making a difference. Is there any specific things I should be looking for?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
You could also try changing your Router's broadcasting channel, to see if you're recieving interference.

workswonders

workswonders

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
how would you go about doing that? and why would it have changed itself?

workswonders

workswonders

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
how do you change the routers broadcasting channel?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Log onto your Router's Web Console. Depending on your Router make/model, the addresses and login details vary. Once again, depending on your router, you will find "Wireless Channel" somewhere within the settings pages... It should be a drop-down box -- write down what channel it is currently broadcasting on and then you can change it to a new channel. See if you still have a bad connection with all of your devices plugged in.