Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi geeks,

I'm having a spot of bother with my PC at the moment. Whenever I power on my PC and try to access Windows normally, the 'Blue screen of death' (as it is commonly known) briefly flashes up on screen and then my PC restarts. I went into advanced startup and disabled auot reset to find out what was flashing up and here's what i have. Along with the usual "A problem has been encountered" bit, the problem is:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

The stop error code is:

***stop: 0x000000ED (0x82F85E30, 0xC0000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I can start Windows in safe mode and, after disabling my DVD drives, floppy disk controllers, display adaptors and network adaptors AND disabling everything in the SYSTEM.INI, WIN.INI, Services and Startup tabs in msconfig, I can load Windows normally. I have enabled my network adaptor so i could go online to ask for help. Can anyone let me know how i should proceed? I just want my computer to start as normal. I'm assuming the unmountable boot volume is something like too many programs trying to boot at startup. Would that be right? I have done a chkdsk /r which i ran from the XP CDRom and everything seems to be fine but it has no effect

Any help would be most welcome. :)
Many thanks in advance,
Noobsaibot21 :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...since you did a very throughough...disable...and got back into normal mode..i would suggest turning those things back on one by one...

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm actually in the middle of a Panda Active Scan as I have been getting a lot of pop up's in the last ten minutes. It's the usual 'Your PC is infected blah blah blah'. Obviously I have spyware or malware so could this have something to do with my startup problems?

Regards,
Noobsaibot21

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it very well could...after your panda scan maybe take a trip through the malware forum if it doesn't clear it up...

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi,

Thats the plan. Should i try to get rid of the spyware first or sort out the boot problem first. I would hazzard a guess at the spyware but i'd like the Pro's opinion :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'd go for the spyware at the moment...you may find that it doesn't all get cleaned or detected due to some of the things that y ou turned off...but...that will only be able to be determined after you start turning stuff back on

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Right,

Panda has picked up 33 Spyware and 1 Dialer so i shall return to this problem later after i have completed my spyware problem. I have noticed that Panda only does a scan for you and doesn't remove any dialers or spyware. Are they a truly reliable company?

Many thanks,
Noobsaibot21

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
they generally are....but...when offering free scans...they can only go so far...you can try trendmicro...or kapersky..they both have reputable online scanners as well

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello again,

I've re activated everything one by one and reconnected everything (and even installed my scanner) and Windows seems to be ok now. And i'm seemingly virus free. My only remaining quibble is that, at startup, I am offered three 'Operating systems' to choose from:

1. My usual Windows XP,
3. ?

I'm positive it was me who created the other two options so I ask you, how do i get rid of these. I originally added them there through the bootcfg redirect option.

Many thanks,

Noobsaibot21

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you remember the method you used to add those entries?

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello again,

Yes, I launched the Windows Startup disc as my 1st boot device so that i could repair the installation and i remember going and doing a bootcfg /redirect twice or something similar in which it asked me to name two things. One I just left both answers blank and the other I put in a question mark beside each question.
Is this making any sense?
Regards,
Noobsaibot21

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try bootcfg /disableredirect

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=291980