Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hack XP Start Button

• Please log in to reply

reassg

reassg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
How do I properly find the windows.exe in the C:\Windows directory so I can change the XP start button?

Thanks,
George

'email removed'

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Welcome reassg <_<!

Here is an excellent article on your question:

http://www.techtv.co...3661576,00.html

I have removed your email from your post to protect your privacy. Spammers use bots who roam through these forums looking for email address they can send spam to.

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
i tried that link and went through the article but have come to a big problem. After i restarted my computer and copied the newstart.exe file to the explorer.exe. When i once again restarted, i log in and then my background comes up and thats it. My tool bar and my icons dont come up. I cant do anything except hit ctrl-alt-delete. There are processes running but I cant open anything. i guess i have to recopy a new explorer.exe file but im not sure. Please let me know! Thanks guys

pat

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
You knew that hacking your XP start button involves some risk. If you made a backup like it told you to, replace the newstart.exe with the real explorer.exe in safe mode.

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
well my roomate was given the same laptop by our school, what if i had copied his explorer.exe file, would that work. Thanks for your help

Also, do u mean use the explorer.bak file? Sorry, may sound dumb

Edited by ditto, 12 April 2004 - 12:05 PM.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I mean get the backup explorer.exe and replace the new new explorer.exe with it. In other words, replace the new explorer.exe with the backup in safe mode.

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
alright well i have a huge problem then. I made a copy of the explorer.exe and named explorer.bak, like step two said. I guess i cant use command prompt in safe mode to rename the explorer.bak file as explorer.exe and then replace the old explorer.exe?

Thanks for your input nathan.

Pat

Edited by ditto, 12 April 2004 - 02:18 PM.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Sorry, I seem to be lost. <_< I've told admin about your problem and he'll be able to help you shortly. :D

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If your able to boot in Safe Mode, perform a system restore to when before the problem began. <_<

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
well i restarted in safe mode, but all that comes up after i log in is a black screen with "safe mode" in the four corners. So i guess i cant do that?

Nathan dont worry about it, thanks for helping?

admin, is it possible for me to restart in safe mode with cmd prompt and rename the explorer.bak as explorer.exe and have the replace the current explorer.exe?

thanks guys

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
First try booting using Last known good configuration:
http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;307852

This article describes how to use system restore from a safe mode command prompt:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;304449

admin, is it possible for me to restart in safe mode with cmd prompt and rename the explorer.bak as explorer.exe and have the replace the current explorer.exe?

Pretty easy using the DOS Rename command--if you're comfortable using DOS. If not, I can tell you exactly what to type.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
How about under Add/Remove Programs?

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

cant access that, but im reading those microsoft articles....by the way im on my home computer now, the problem is with my laptop, incase ur wondering. Thanks, ill keep u up to date.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Oops! That was supposed to be a reply to another post. Please disregard. <_<

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
ADMIN RULES!!!

thanks again man. i read the system restore by using command prompt and it worked. Thanks so much for your help. Not only is it fixed, but i learned more too. Thanks guys.

Pat

p.s. you know the right way to change the start button. lol thanks