Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Have I got this all wrong?

• Please log in to reply

rob.jarvis

rob.jarvis

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've got a desktop & a laptop wired into an ADSL 4-port router. I wanted the laptop to be wireless, so I bought a wireless ethernet bridge (Linksys WET54G) which I plugged into the router and a wireless adaptor (Linksys WPC54G) plugged into the laptop.
I've configured both devices but th laptop can't see the router via the bridge.

Am I missing something?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Rob,

Have you run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard? If not, please do the following:
  • The easiest way to open the Wireless Network Setup Wizard is through the Start Menu: go to Programs, Accessories, then Communications, and you'll find it there.
  • The first thing to do when the wizard appears is read the welcome message, and click Next.
  • Now, type a name for your network -- anything will do, as long as it's relatively unique to you. You're allowed up to 32 letters to express yourself, but remember that your neighbours might get to see this name at some point!
  • Unless you already have a network key that you absolutely must use, select the Automatically Assign a Network Key radio button.
    (Note: You should write down -- on a piece of paper -- both your SSID and your Network Key!)
  • If you bought equipment with WPA (stronger encryption), tick that box. Click Next again.
  • Unless you have a USB flash drive (it's unlikely), choose the option for manual setup. Don't worry -- it's just a matter of printing out some settings and entering them into your other computers. If you don't use encryption, you can usually skip this step.
  • Now, right-click on the wireless icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen -- it looks like a small computer with two lines on the right of it.
  • On the menu that appears, click 'View Available Wireless Networks'.
  • Now, you should see a list of the wireless networks your computer is in range of. Look for the name of your own network. This will be the name you typed in the setup wizard earlier or, if you use a router, it will probably be the name of your wireless equipment's manufacturer.
    (Note that this is the screen to come to if you ever want to connect to a wireless network other than your usual one -- just double click the one you want, wait a while, and it should work.)
  • To make sure Windows knows which network is yours, you need to click 'Change the order of preferred networks' on the left of the available networks screen.
  • You should click the 'Add' button to add the name of your network to this list, and use 'Remove' to take away any that aren't yours.
  • When you've highlighted your network, click Properties, and then go to the Connection section.
  • Make sure 'Connect when this network is in range' is ticked. If all else fails, you might have to take your printout from the Wireless Network Setup Wizard and enter that information on each computer.
If you have already done this, then what steps have you taken to 'configure' the two devices?