Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Streaming TV for robbed LAN center

• Please log in to reply

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hey techs, I work for a LAN center in AZ and we've had our plasma TVs stolen twice. I had an idea to allow users to stream the tv (whatever channel it may be on) straight to the pc's as opposed to buying ANOTHER tv... I realize that they wont be able to choose channels but I was hoping there was a program that would allow me to stream live tv through our network. we have a t.v. tuner on hand but thats as far as we've gotten any suggested programs?

Advertisements

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
bummer.. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im not sure what you would have to do to stream it on to every pc except get a proper interent tv channel on the go and i also think thats not technically legal but dont quote me on that. also if its on the monitor im assuming people come into browse the net or games but you cant do those if you are watching tv. Also i know its fairly easy to set up normal radio streaming but not sure about tv.

Have you though of using a projector to display the tv they are small enough to easily bolt down and take home with you after hours. Or just keep your plasma in a more secure location some places keep them in there own enclosure that keeps them more firmly secured.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
also you could install more camera's and other survelance equipment. determent is the option here. If your in a data center normal people should not have access. infact the tv should be inside the secure areas of the facility.

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
They came in after we just opened and stole our servers ever since then we've had cameras in both rooms (3 in the front room that are all visible from the entrance front wall is all window) these guys dont seem to mind. we've got an alarm system and everything. I realize people dont play games but u'd be surprised how many used to play without head phones so they could hear the tv show football game whatever and i figured they could have the tv running in the background (we've got very powerful machines this would not slow it down noticibly) or the people surfing the net would watch tv, how many people reading this have watched a video on the pc and surfed at the same time...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if they are listening and not watching perhaps have a tv or projector and then just have some preset radios. You would be surprised how much resources streaming TV will take up if you are gaming especially anything like that running will get a big performance drop. I cant find anything on the net onto how to set up streaming TV, radio yes i know how to do that but not video. I would just make the TV more secure, also a big TV is good for lan events of you have them, or i think a projector and one of the sony black screens would be a good thing to try they usually dont cost anymore than a good plasma and have better response and resolution than plasma.

I ofen watch telly when i game, dont know why but it can help me concentrate and stops me getting to into it (go a bit postal gamer guy when i get a bit to involved, painkiller especially game drives me insane for some reason i hate demons and zombie games so this demon killing fest is great, no AI has ever taken such verbal abuse and liberal useage of the word noob. and pwn)

Edited by warriorscot, 18 January 2006 - 01:19 PM.