Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP SP 2 Boot and Login Trouble

• Please log in to reply

dj.madscribbler

dj.madscribbler

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Here's my problem and what I've done so far:

I have six PC's networked togther using Windows Networking. Yesterday, one of my PC's (SysteMax Venture with 3.2Ghz Intel Processor, Intel D865GLC Mobo, 2Mb Ram, Maxtor 6Y160M0 160GB HD {this is running on four partitions 1 10gb for C: and three others at 47.5bg}, ATI Radeon 9800 SE, SoundBlaster Audigy 5.1 X-Gamer) started running slow. Really Slow. Now, I'm running Autodesk Combustion on this machine and it is definitely a resource hog and after a few hours of it and Win XP chewing up memory things slow to a crawl.

But this time things start to crash. So I decide to reboot. When my logon screen pops up, I hit my user name and input my password and get the following window "Windows cannot logon because the domain <Enigma> cannot be found" with an OK button below it. This was perplexing because 1. I don't run a domain and 2. Enigma is the computers name. So I reboot again into safe mode (with no networking!) and try to logon to the administrator. After putting in my password I get the same window about not being able to find the domain. At this I reboot and at the safe mode dialogue I choose "restart using last known good settings" and before the logon comes up the computer says "Disk read Error Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart".

This happens a few times. At this point, I get out the windows XP disk a load the recovery console. I do chkdsk and it gets 50% of the way through and says there are critical errors in the boot sector. So I do chkdsk /p/r and it finishes successfully. I reboot and get the same Disk Read Error. I go into the recovery console and do chkdsk /p/r again and it finds problems again and they were successfully completed. Then, since it said the errors were to the boot sector, I went ahead and did fixboot.

Now, it boots up but before I get to the login screen I get a BSOD with the following error:

Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The Session Manager Initialization System Process has failed
0xc00000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000)

Does anyone if there is anything I can do to fix this? I thinking about lining the HD into one the other computers and digging out a few spare external HD's and trying to back up the data. If I reinstall to that partition will the others remain intact? Should I just get the info off, completely reformat and start over? Or is there something short of that that can be done?

Any help is much appreciated.

Edited by dj.madscribbler, 12 January 2006 - 08:07 PM.

Advertisements

nerrad

nerrad

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
LOL that’s actually funny :tazz:

Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The Session Manager Initialization System Process is off having a coffee break and doesn't feel like working right now please check back at some other time
0xc00000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000)

You think Microsoft had some disgruntled employee?!?
More likely you have a virus you have two options
  • Visit http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and use that CD to do a virus scan at boot time
  • Take out the hard drive stick it into another machine and scan it with Antivirus software
After you do this and the virus/es are removed boot again and try your luck.

Although you may need to reinstall windows if files have been corrupted (tutorial: http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=138)