Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with my ATI Radeon x300!

• Please log in to reply

paco290

paco290

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I just bought this brand new ATI Radeon X300 and when i tryed to install it...it wouldn't fit!! My computer is only 2 months old. I dont know if im putting in the right spot or it just wont fit. I have an HP computer. Can someone please help me where to put it or how to install it please?!?!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Plug in video cards are either AGP (goes into AGP slot on the motherboard) or PCI (goes into PCI slot on the motherboard). You need to find out what kind of video card your motherboard supports. The manual that came with it should tell you. If you don't have a manual, go to hp/compaq's web page and download one. The card you bought will not fit into any slot for which it was not designed to fit.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
the x300 is the newer technology which is pci express not regular pci.

You probably dont have a pci express slot on your motherboard.

You might only have regular pci slots on your pc. Or you might have an agp slot.

There is no way for us to know. Need more info.

We need to know for shure, give us more detail.

paco290

paco290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well, on the gfx card box it says PCI Express and here's a picture of my computer from inside....

Attached Thumbnails

• Inside_computer.JPG

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
you have an agp slot. that card is pci express. the graphics card you purchased is incompatible with your motherboard.

paco290

paco290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
That sux....so then which gfx cards will fit that will support Call of Duty 2 because that's the only reason I bought one. Thx for all the help!

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
what is your price range?

paco290

paco290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Umm...well anything under $100 that will run smoothly with CoD2.

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
how much ram do you have installed on your computer?

paco290

paco290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
512 mb

Advertisements

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
you might be able to find a x700 at around $100. im not too familiar with the newer mid-range and entry level series cards... i.e. the x series for ati, or the 6000 series for nvidia because i skipped all that and went all out =X

but for what i do know. ati 9600xt, 9800pro, 9800xt were great cards
and for nvidia fx5700ultra fx5750 and fx5950, or fx5900 oc were also great

most of those cards should be under $100 now. i wouldnt recommend the fx5950 or the 9800xt if they're over $100. because you can get a higher end newer card like the x700 for a few bucks more.

i dont know about call of duty but all the cards i mentioned above could handle cs 1.6 in steam with no problem. i cant imagine CoD being too far off. x700 is your best bet. otherwise id go with a 9800xt or a lower x model if available in agp.

hope that helps

paco290

paco290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Would Best Buy or Curcuit City have any of these at a reasonable price??

paco290

paco290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm on ebay and i see some that have the connections split twice and have 2 spaces and since mine has 1 split would that matter???

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
best buy or circuit city will have little or no video cards for a reasonable price.
if you live in the united states, i would recommend NEWEGG.COM. shipping is fast and reasonable, and they have everything and usually they're significantly cheaper than retail outlets. They also have reviews for all the items they sell so you get an idea of what the product is like before you buy it from real people rather than a company advertisement disguised as an item description of what you're trying to buy.

otherwise i'd recommend a frys electronics, or an outpost if you have those. and the last ones on the list in order would be best buy, compusa and circuit city.

im very anal about retail outlets because numerous times i have always found items at 80% of the cost or less at newegg or other online sites. even after shipping.

i also just looked up the x300 and just from reading the reviews i would probably pay the extra 50 dollars for the cheapest x700 you could find on there to get the best results for gaming. either that or a 6600gt

paco290

paco290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
would it matter if there were 2 spaces in the connection part since mine has 1?