Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

runtime errors when switching users on XP

• Please log in to reply

momo8199

momo8199

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey!

I just purchased a new computer for my family. Since earlier today, when 2 different users are logged on, one user cannot access internet explorer or even check "my computer". The following runtime error messages appear.

Is there anyway to fix this without having to buy these registry cleaner programs (they're probably the ones creating the problem methinks).

The following error messages appear: Runtime error! - C:\windows\explorer.exe and Runtime error! - C:\ProgramFiles\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Advertisements

chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have the same exact problem...did you find the solution yet?? :tazz:

nxouris38

nxouris38

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been having the same problem. Can anybody help?

smurfoz

smurfoz

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hey!

I just purchased a new computer for my family. Since earlier today, when 2 different users are logged on, one user cannot access internet explorer or even check "my computer". The following runtime error messages appear.

Is there anyway to fix this without having to buy these registry cleaner programs (they're probably the ones creating the problem methinks).

The following error messages appear: Runtime error! - C:\windows\explorer.exe and Runtime error! - C:\ProgramFiles\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

smurfoz

smurfoz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am also having the same problem ... found somewhere on here that says to remove google toolbar which hasn't worked, then found somewhere else that said that she got rid of it by doing a search for google toolbar which got rid of hers as it wasn't deleted by add/remove hardware ... I have done all the above and still I am having the same problem. Even emptied my Recycle Bin in case it was affecting it from there.

I have deleted all yahoo related sites and everything that I think could be a problem (software downloaded from the internet). Have done a system restore only for it to work for a while and then it reverted back to the same problem. Have taken off and reinstalled McAfee.

I have gone in and turned off internet explorer add-ons that I don't recognise.

I have done a repair on Office 2003 (not sure if it is linked .. but worth a try).

Please please can anyone help?

momo8199

momo8199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
where are the geeks to go people?? Usually they respond within minutes??? :tazz:

chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Go to this website and install it.

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

So far, it has worked for me...I haven't gotten the error since I installed it.. :tazz:

smurfoz

smurfoz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have managed to ged rid of the problem by uninstalling Google toolbar plus numerous other things as mentioned above (which didn't work) but then found another site that said to go into Internet Options, Advanced and then unclick 'Enable Third Party Browser Extensions (restart required) (sic). This finally worked ... yippeee ... BUT

I like using the Google Toolbar and reinstalled it (as a lot of other people say they don't have a problem after that but unless you agree to their terms it won't install it so did and it automatically changes the setting in Internet Options causing the same problem which is easy enough to fix again (now I know what to do) but then it removes the google toolbar.

I have downloaded from the site as you suggested which makes no difference ...

HAS ANYONE FOUND A WAY TO KEEP GOOGLE TOOLBAR WITHOUT GETTING THIS RUNTIME ERROR?

Thanks

Go to this website and install it.

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

So far, it has worked for me...I haven't gotten the error since I installed it.. :tazz:

chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok, that link worked for me for a little, but i have the same problem still...... :tazz:

And thats really annoying how if you disable third party extensions, it suddenly works but google toolbar is off...

Help....

Edited by chunkymonkey, 15 January 2006 - 11:01 AM.

smurfoz

smurfoz

• Pip
  • 7 posts

ok, that link worked for me for a little, but i have the same problem still...... :tazz:

And thats really annoying how if you disable third party extensions, it suddenly works but google toolbar is off...

Help....

I have no idea why but it works but can't also have Google Toolbar ... have also found that the wireless connection doesn't work with Third Party Extensions ticked.

It all worked quite together up until a few months ago.

I wish somebody could help as I am at the the end of my tether with it!!

smurfoz

smurfoz

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I have no idea why but it works but can't also have Google Toolbar ... have also found that the wireless connection doesn't work with Third Party Extensions ticked.

It all worked quite together up until a few months ago.

I wish somebody could help as I am at the the end of my tether with it!!

Sorry got that wrong ... I need to tick Third Party Extensions to get the wireless connection to work so it is all becoming a nightmare.

chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I fixed it! But I'm not sure if you have the same exact problem..

First of all, I went to the internet explorer icon and went to properties, advanced, then unchecked the box that said "enable third party browser extensions." I then opened internet explorer, and went to tools, then manage add-ons.
I then disabled: Mcafee Antiphishing Filter that's type is "Browser Help Object", NOT "Browser Extension."

Restart internet explorer, and everything should be back to normal...

I dont know if that makes much sense, but make as much sense out of it as you can..Goodluck!

smurfoz

smurfoz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just did a reply but doesn't look like it has shown up.

Thank you ... Thank you ... Thank you ... you have saved my sanity.

It has finally worked ... YIPEEEEEEEE!!

Thanks once again.

:tazz: :) :)

I fixed it! But I'm not sure if you have the same exact problem..
First of all, I went to the internet explorer icon and went to properties, advanced, then unchecked the box that said "enable third party browser extensions." I then opened internet explorer, and went to tools, then manage add-ons.
I then disabled: Mcafee Antiphishing Filter that's type is "Browser Help Object", NOT "Browser Extension."

Restart internet explorer, and everything should be back to normal...
I dont know if that makes much sense, but make as much sense out of it as you can..Goodluck!