Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Doom3/Sid Meier's Pirates! _is*tmp problem

• Please log in to reply

Adderr

Adderr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all.

Very new here, never really posted on a forum before but this place is probably the best for a problem I'm having.

I have the "_is*.tmp" problem that paulmceldowney was having. Every time I try to install either Doom3 or Sid Meier's Pirates! I get that error, and every time I get it the * number increases by 1, in a hexadecimal range: 0-9 + A-F.

I tried the solution posted on paulmceldowney's thread but I had no luck with deleting or renaming the Installshield folder and deleting all the files in the Temp folders (the WinXP %UserLogin\Local Settings\Temp\, %UserLogin\Temp\, Windows\Temp\, and Windows\Tmp folders).

A while ago I changed some of the environment variables for Windows temporary files (My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables) but experienced problems with programs not being able to find the windows temporary folders. I since changed it back to what it was (using the settings of another user account on the same computer as a base) but I was wondering if that might have something to do with it, maybe some setting in some vague file that wasn't altered.

The computer is a P4 3G, 512mb, Intel motherboard of some kind, ATI 9600 128mb, Windows XP Pro with SP2.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello Adderr and welcome to G2G!

Try installing the games using a different CD/DVD drive.
Also try a firmware update on the CD/DVD drive.

Adderr

Adderr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've tried to install both games on two different drives, I have a Sony 52x and a LiteOn 52/32/52. I updated the firmware for the LiteOn but that doesn't seem to've changed anything. The Sony firmware doesn't seem to want to work, but that's another topic.

If anyone needs any more detailed information I can provide it.

After I post this I'm gonna open the case up and make sure everything's nice and tight in there.

Adds

Hello Adderr and welcome to G2G!

Try installing the games using a different CD/DVD drive.
Also try a firmware update on the CD/DVD drive.

Adderr

Adderr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Problem solved, but I had to do a reinstall of windows to fix it, so I'm still thinking there was something up with the temp folder settings.

Thanka folkses! :tazz: