Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I do a System Restore?

• Please log in to reply

nlboy22

nlboy22

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I recently caught a virus on my computer and I downloaded Norton Antivirus Internet Security 2005 it, and it didn't seem to fix the problem. I don't want to spend another $40 something just for nothing. I want to do a system restore, but I'm not sure exactly what it is I have to do. I go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore, but then what? I have the restore CD, the one that comes with the computer. Can someone please explain to me what to do in easy-to-understand English...I don't know that much about computer, you see.

Advertisements

nlboy22

nlboy22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
By the way, the virus I have is trojan.alemoid plus some others if it's necessary to know.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi nlboy22...

Here's the step by step for a System Restore. I would recommend that you restore to a time before you installed Norton. Once the restore completes (if the infection hasn't disabled it) download, install, and run Avast Antivirus. You can choose to run it on the next boot (recommended) when you install it.

Then I would highly recommend that you go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here...then post a HiJackThis log in THAT Forum.

System Restore

Click Start and point to All Programs then to Accessories then to System Tools and click System Restore

On the Welcome to System Restore page, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" (it should be selected by default), and then click "Next"

On the Select a Restore Point page, click a bold date on the calendar to the left...go back to a time before the problem began, and then click "Next". A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click "Ok".
On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click "Next". System Restore will restore the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restart the computer.

When the System Restore Restoration Complete page appears...Click "Ok".

wannabe1

nlboy22

nlboy22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks, I'll try that now.

nlboy22

nlboy22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey I just did that, I restored it to a date before I got the virus, but it just shows a box saying, "This application has failed to start because WININET.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem." What am I supposed to do now? Please, help me. I have a very important project, and now my computer won't even show the toolbar. It won't do ANYTHING! I am using my sister's laptop briefly to type this out.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You must have some bad stuff in there... :tazz:

Reboot and tap the F8 key during the boot sequence. When you get to the Safe Mode options screen, choose the option to start using the "Last known good configuration" and press "Enter"

Let me know if this starts your machine...there are more options available to us...

wannabe1

nlboy22

nlboy22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It's giving me the same message from before. I'm freaking out here. Did I totally kill my computer?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /x (Again...note the spaces) and reboot, type Y when prompted and press "Enter". This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Edited by wannabe1, 12 January 2006 - 10:36 PM.

nlboy22

nlboy22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No, it won't even show the Start button!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...no run from where you're at...

Let's use recovery console

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Edited by wannabe1, 12 January 2006 - 10:46 PM.

Advertisements

nlboy22

nlboy22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OH NO! There's nothing I can do! All there is is my mouse and the background, but nothing more. Please, is there anything to do in this situation?

nlboy22

nlboy22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry, that won't work either. In put the recovery CD in, but nothing pops out. It's like trapped.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Calm down.

We'll get you going it's just going to take a few minutes to put together a fix.

What kind of machine is it? Dell...HP...Build?

nlboy22

nlboy22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It's a Toshiba Satellite, Windows XP

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

It's like trapped.

Does this mean the cd-rom won't open?

Have you installed anything recently or opened any attachments in e-mails...downloaded any images?