Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I do a System Restore?

• Please log in to reply

nlboy22

nlboy22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I downloaded Norton Antivirus Internet Security 2005 not too long ago. The CD makes the noise as it it's going to work, but then it stops and doesn't work at all!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What model number is on the Satellite?

nlboy22

nlboy22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Satellite M35X-S149
Is that what you needed? Or is it something else?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That'll work

Restart your computer with the cd in the drive and see if it will boot to the cd as I suggested before.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. (1)

When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press "Enter".

At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild (note the space before the /) and press "Enter".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, remove the cd from the drive and type exit at the command prompt, then press "Enter".

During bootup, tap the F8 key for Safe Mode...once on the Safe Mode optiond screen, choose the option "Safe Mode with Command Prompt". At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r /x and press "Enter". Type Y to run this on reboot and press "Enter". This will take a while so start up will be slow...be patient...DO NOT interupt this operation.

Does your machine now boot on it's own?

Edited by wannabe1, 13 January 2006 - 12:10 AM.

nlboy22

nlboy22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
What do you mean by restart my computer? I can't click Start>Shut Down>Restart because the toolbar doesn't show at all so I CAN'T CLICK START! Please, explain!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
nlboy22...

Hold the power button down for 5 to 10 seconds until it powers down. Then turn it back on with the installation cd in the cd-rom drive.

wannabe1