Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Prof Master & Slave HD Quetion

• Please log in to reply

niteghost

niteghost

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
How many Slave Drives can XP Pro. have? I intend to have 2, and does it require me to change my Power source to "drive" 1 Master and 2 "slaves" Drives?
Thanxs in Advance.
:tazz: :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello niteghost...

If you are talking about physical drives, your limitation will be in the cableing. On most mainboards there are two IDE connectors...one primary and one secondary so you will be limited to two ribbons. Each ribbon will have one master connector and one slave connector.

You'll need one HDD at the end connector on the primary cable (Primary Master) and a CD-ROM on the center connector (Primary Slave). That leaves you connectors on the secondary ribbon for two more drives...a Secondary Master and a Secondary Slave. These can both be HDD's. Another configuration is to put the CD-ROM at the Secondary Master position. You'd have Primary Master (HDD)...Primary Slave (HDD)...Secondary Master (CD-ROM)...Secondary Slave (HDD).

Keep in mind that you can also partition the HDD's into multiple drives...

Hope this is what you were after. :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 January 2006 - 01:43 AM.