Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't install...

• Please log in to reply

Yumil

Yumil

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Edit: The HDD thing is no longer my problem. :tazz:

I'm building a gaming computer and have it all the physical work done...
I turn it on and enter BIOS and it reads my HDD as being Third Master...

I've set the jumper pin in the back all the way to the left like the manual said it needs to be to make it Primary.
And it's into the IDE1 slot...other than those aspects I'm at a loss of knowledge and need some help getting it to read as First Master...

Any thoughts on what I might do?

(a smaller side problem is it won't let me set my DVD-RW as a primary boot drive...is it not allowed to be?)

Thanks if you can! ^-^ I've used this forum before and it helped a ton!

Edited by Yumil, 13 January 2006 - 05:41 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Which motherboard have you got?

DVD-RWs can be set as primary boot drive - you have no other option really until you get Windows installed :tazz: If BIOS won't let you put it as a boot device (or BIOS can't see it), it's usually been cabled up wrongly somewhere.

Some recent boards have more than two standard IDE ports and they're not always labelled logically; such as IDE0, for example.

Yumil

Yumil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I've realized my initial problem is not really a problem...my HDD is suppose to be Third Master I guess, according to it's manual.

But I need to use my DVD-RW as a boot device and it's still a problem.
I have the MSI 915P Neo Platinum board and have it wired from my primary DVD-RW to my secondary one then to the IDE3 slot, the cable would not reach IDE2 or I would have put it there.

The two DVD drives show up in the initial diagnostic before BIOS is loaded but neither show up on my primary boot sequence list.

Edited by Yumil, 13 January 2006 - 10:43 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
So when you go into the boot priorities menu and you go on priimary master what options does it give you.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how do you have the drives jumpered?

Yumil

Yumil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The jumper pins on the DVD-RW are fine, set how the book says it should be.

I managed to connect it to IDE2 slot and it now shows up as the Primary Master device or soemthing when the comp's turning on...but in the BIOS it says it's not detected while the HDD is the only thing detected as Third Master (which I want)

The only things on the list of bootable devided is Floppy, RAID, and HDD...but I need it to be my DVD-RW... :/

The motherboard claims its connected once its turned on but the BIOS says it doesn't exist...

Yumil

Yumil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok I got around the BIOS problem...I moved my HDD to IDE2 and my two CD drives to IDE1 and now the BIOS recognizes my two drives, so I set my first drive to primary boot device, put in my CD, and finally started installing Windows XP...it got through that then while it said Starting Windows at bottom it crashed and got a blue screen and said it couldn't find:

SystemRoot/System32/ntdll.dll

That's as far as it's gotten and now I'm mad that there always has to be another problem after the first one...

If it has to do with a RAID or FAT32 partition, my 120GB HDD isn't partitioned at all...I'm not sure if I need to or not...if I don't have to, then I don't want to...

Yumil

Yumil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
When I start my computer without entering the BIOS first it always say.

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

It would be wonderful if anyone knows what's going on and what I did wrong...
It's starting to make me mad like I have faulty equipment...

So far that's 2 missing things that are screwing up my booting and attempts to instal windows...

Edited by Yumil, 13 January 2006 - 08:09 PM.

Leroy Lim

Leroy Lim

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
http://2n1.aspfreese...pload/ntdll.zip
Here is a copy of the ntdll file. Its compressed in zip file. And some relevant solutions to solve your problem about the NTLDR.
http://www.computerh...es/ch000465.htm

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well is the windows disk you have a proper disk and is it damaged you might try another one, it doesnt matter how you get windows installation disks as long as you have the liscence.

Yumil

Yumil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
My disk is fine, I've used it on this computer I'm posting from.
I've decided that my motherboard isn't working correctly...it's not reading from all of my IDE ports correctly...only one that seems to be working is IDE1, but I need at least two...

Yumil

Yumil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok....too many weeks later...new motherboard is working better but...

I install Windows XP and when it says it's Starting Windows after installing...it gives me a stop error...

STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

That's all it says...I have NO idea now what it's problem is...the thing I read that was suppose to help only said that a driver I installed isn't right for my hardware...

Please help out... :tazz:

Any info that might help?:

120GB HDD - 2 60GB FAT32 partitions
Motherboard: MSI 915P Neo2 Platinum V1.0B (MS-7028)

Edited by Yumil, 26 February 2006 - 09:44 PM.

Yumil

Yumil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
:tazz: