Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq Laptop Bsod

• Please log in to reply

micdarj

micdarj

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Situation - I set-up a web server on an older PC, which required attaining a static IP from my ISP. I configured my Linksys Wireless-B router with the Static IP, DNS information from my ISP with idea that the web server (behind the router) would attain an IP from the router I assigned to it (192.168.1.102). All other wireless connections would receive an IP from the router as needed. My wife brings home a laptop from her work to connect to the wireless and has had no problems until I configured the router with a static IP. However, I also bring home a laptop from my office and it has no problems with the current configuration. Long story, but thought necessary. At any rate the troubled laptop records the following errors in the event viewer, which is the best I can do since I cannot capture the Bsod message and my wife does not have admin rights to her laptop. Additionally, the laptop reboots appx. every 10 minutes no matter what you are doing. It is running Windows XP Pro and is a Compaq nx9010.

Event Viewer System Errors at time of Bsod:
W32Time Event 29
Service Control Manager Event 7000
Service Control Manager Event 7009
Netlogon Event 5719

Event Viewer Warning at time of Bsod:
Dnsapi Event 11165

EventViewer Application Errors at time of Bsod:
Userenv Event 1054
AutoEnrollment Event 15

One more thing during the time I composed this, I decided to plug the laptop directly into the router and it has not rebooted. So, I am already suspecting the wireless connection to the Linksys, but it doesn't explain why my work laptop does not have a problem.

I realize this is a lot to swallow, but I am at ends with this.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Your wife's laptop is connected to a domain at work? And your work laptop?

Is the ip you assigned to your webserver outside the dhcp range?

micdarj

micdarj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Where would I go to determine whether or not the laptop's are connected to a domain at work? They both have work related Workgroup membership (e.g. my laptop is in a Workgroup called (ACO).

I have configured the router to distribute 5 DHCP IP's starting with 192.168.1.100. I hard coded 192.168.1.102 into the TCP/IP settings on the web server machine.

Another tib bit about my wife's laptop; it is running on Windows XP (SP1).

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
set your router to give dhcp leases to a range that does not include the server.

say 192.168.1.103-107

Your event viewer errors seem to indicate that your wife's pc is not authenticating with active directory/domain controller

This should not be an issue if all you are doing is using it surf.

Is there any change your wife's pc is infected with malware? Why is it not updated to sp2? There were several notorious bugs that caused spontaneous reboots.

I assume that you opened up a port on your router to allow traffic in for the webserver...did you restrict it to just the one IP address? Either way, something may be getting through

Here is the Microsoft malicious software detection tool

I would run that

http://www.microsoft...ve/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft...ve/default.mspx

micdarj

micdarj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just to clarify, if I configure my router to allow 5 IP's beginning with 192.168.1.103, my web server will still be able to connect? Actually that makes sense since the web server is hard coded with an IP and DNS it should not care what the router is dishing out.

The majority of activities performed on the wife's laptop are surfing the net, however, she does use it for VPN connectivity on occasion. The reason it is not on SP2 is unknown as I do not work with the hospital IT staff, although she was told that they would be updating everyone to SP2 soon.

I did configure the router to allow Port Forwarding in which I specified the IP of the web server (HTTP port 80).

Another drawback in all of this is that she does not have admin rights; therefore, I cannot load software to perform the malware check as you have suggested. However, her IT staff did install the Beta Microsoft Anti Spyware program, which came up negative.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the dhcp address does not affect the ability of the router to route traffic form your network--assuming the range is within the network

If you have a standard router, and given your numbers, your NETWORK ranges from 192.168.1.1 all the way to 192.168.1.254 (this is because the subnet mask determines the network (assuming you have a traditional subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Your DHCP server is simply in charge of handing out ip addresses within the range you specified....it does not know how large your network is.

This is not always obvious when you get these consumer grade devices that do everything for you. In my case, for example, I have a small network with a router/gateway, I have a dhcp server, a domain server, webserver and a file server and four workstations. Domain, dhcp, file and webserver all are statically assigned. The DHCP server then hands out ip leases beyond the range of the static ips on the network (10.0.0.1 through 10.0.0.10. I could add 16,000+ machines to a network set up this way and they would never interfere....well, too much info...

I do not know for certain what is going on at the moment, but let's rule out the obvious chance of ip conflicts as your wife's computer enters and leaves the network.

you can download the malicious tool and run it without installing it from here (it is a stand alone file)

http://www.microsoft.....bRemoval+Tool

Or, get Stinger from here
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Same thing...no install

micdarj

micdarj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Let me step back a bit. My set-up goes like this:

ISP provides a cable modem with a static IP
Cable modem is connected to a Linksys Wireless-B 4 port router
Desktop PC connects directly to port on Linksys - DHCP IP
Webserver (former PC) connects directly to port on Linksys - Static IP
Wife laptop connects wirelessly - MAC address on allowed list in router using WEP
My work laptop connects wirelessly - MAC address on allowed list in router using WEP

Because I have configured the TCP/IP settings on the webserver to the static IP my ISP assigned, this does not conflict with configuring the Linksys with the same static IP?

My logic to the router is this: the router is the first thing the cable modem communicates with; therefore, it must have the static IP configured. The router sees the webserver as a device that has been assigned the one static IP from the approved range (192.168.1.102), and all other devices (cabled or wireless) need to receive an IP from it the router between a specific range (192.168.1.100-105), but cannot have (192.168.1.102).

OR

Should or can I hard code the webserver with the same IP as the router, which the static IP that has been assigned?

Thanks again for all your insight up to this point.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Because I have configured the TCP/IP settings on the webserver to the static IP my ISP assigned, this does not conflict with configuring the Linksys with the same static IP?

Your webserver should have an internal ip address (192.168.x.x.) your router should be configured to forward ports to the webserver. It should not have the ip address of your lan.

The router should have the static IP configured on its WAN port. It's internal (lan) port should be something like 192.168.1.1 (this is your gateway for the other machines)

Each machine should be set up with a dynamic ip address EXCEPT the webserver. Since you are port forwarding, your router needs to know where to forward incoming packets to--the webserver. This is easiest when it is static.

Set up the DHCP range so it does not include the webserver.

micdarj

micdarj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm sorry; I got ahead of myself back there.

Right now the Webserver machine has been configured with an IP of 192.168.1.102, while the router has been configured with the static IP assigned by my ISP. All other computers are configured to receive an IP via DHCP from the router between the ranges of 192.168.1.100-105.

I understand that I should adjust the DHCP range on the router to exclude 192.168.1.102 (the IP of the webserver, correct?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, but we are getting a little off track here. This is likely not the real issue here, but from a network standpoint, it is "cleaner"

More importantly, I want you to try running the Stinger application or the Microsoft malicious software tool

Additionally, if you can access it

Right click MY COMPUTER choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose STARTUP and RECOVERY settings button and then uncheck AUOMATICALLY REBOOT on ERRORS

This should give you a blue screen error when your wife's laptip craps out which might give us some more insight

micdarj

micdarj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Understood, I will clean-up my network. I will also run the malware check on the wife's laptop. As for the My Computer adjustments, tried it and cannot change without admin rights.

Thanks for your patience and keeping me on task.