Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up wireless print server and range expander

• Please log in to reply

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hi i have recently upgraded my home network from a wireless b router, to a wireless G router with srx technology. The base of it is a linksys. At the time i purchased the router I also purchased a wireless G print server and wireless G range expander which were also both linksys. both items were fairly a new concept to me, and i thought it would be a conveniences to have all the computers share one printer instead of running back and forth with emails, usb drives, and so forth. The range expander was purchased to cover a greater area, for me to roam around with my laptop with. With both the range expander and the wireless print server ive had no luck.

before i installed either add on to the base, i setup a restricted wireless network access through the firmware of the router, and manually added the mac addresses of all the hardware that i wanted to flow freely through the network. the list of mac addresses were mainly for the three computers, a pda, a cell phone, the range expander, and the printer server.

for the range expander its supposed to sync automatically with the network but i had no luck. i used the cd utility that came with it and followed all the directions. it goes through every step but in the end it says something like "this device cannot function with this networks access point in repeater mode."

as for the print server it installed and read properly (or so it seemed) but when i tried to print out a test page nothing happened. it was as if the printer never received the signal to print.

i tried to install both items under a restricted network access. im going to try and install them again with network access restriction off and see if that helps any.

but if anyone has any suggestions for a solution, please feel free for it would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
router: linksys wrt54gx2
range expander: linksys wre54g
print server: linksys wps54g

i am about to see if i can get the hardware to config with the limited network access settings off.

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
this is the response i get when trying to configure the range expander.
"wre54g cannot associate with this ap in repeater mode"

and as for the print server... i guess the settings from the previous setup are saved somewhere on my computer or network... i did a reset on the print server but when i use the setup utility to setup printserver i cant get the software to recognize it. however, when using the same utility to "setup computer" the utility recognizes the print server, allows me to download the print server drivers... but when trying to establish a connection with the print server it says i need to change an ip address because the ip addresses dont match.

if someone could help, i'd like to get the print server back to the way it was brand new before i ever tried to set it up on my network so i can start all over from the beginning and do it right the second time around and maybe even guide me through it.

bleh. networking is definitely not my thing.
someone please help
^_^