Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

pc monitor will not turn on

• Please log in to reply

aidope

aidope

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi. this is my first post ever. as you have probably guessed i really need help. here's the thing. When i power up my pc the monitor will not come on! it isn't the graphics card because its brand new. Sometimes if i leave the monitor and pc unplugged for long enough (2-3 Days) it might boot, but now it wont even do that for me. i have my suspiscions that it could be the motherboard or the power supply but i'm open to suggestions. All help is more than welcome, thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Aidan

P.S. Please bear in mind that i cannot boot at all so i cant access the boot menu, the bios settings or anything because the screen will not come on at all. thanx

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Because the card's brand new doesn't mean it isn't faulty. Could also be the monitor itself.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
New Graphics Card
13th Jan 2006

Hello – Welcome to G2G –

here's the thing. When i power up my pc the monitor will not come on! it isn't the graphics card because its brand new.

Need more info on PC –
1- Type – [Desktop] – [Laptop] – [Tower]
2- [Manufacturer/Brand] – [Model Number]
3- [Operating System] – [Service Pack]
4- [How old] is the PC – Is this an upgrade from WIN 9X
5- [Motherboard Data] – [Manufacturer/Brand] – [Model Number] – [CPU] – [RAM]
6- Why did you install new [Graphics Card] –
7- [Old Graphics Card Data] – [Manufacturer/Brand] – [Model Number]
8- [New Graphics Card Data] – [Manufacturer/Brand] – [Model Number]
9- [Power Supply Data] – [Manufacturer/Brand] – [Model Number] – [Wattage] This info should be visible on the – [Power Supply] – Nameplate or possibly in your – [PC Documentation]

Now give a brief description of problem – with following – [Guideline]
1- Date of Installation – Did you incur problem immediately after installation – Did it function for awhile – How long – Does Fan Rotate -
2- Have you tried – Uninstall & Reinstalled Old Card –
3- Does PC function with – [Old Card] – Again – [Reason for Upgrade] -
4- Describe Boot up process – how far – etc

Sometimes if i leave the monitor and pc unplugged for long enough (2-3 Days) it might boot,

Here are 2 things to try –
1- Remove – [Graphics Card] – and Reseat carefully - & - Properly – Maybe it was not seated properly - I cannot tell from your – [Post] – What corrective Steps you have taken –
2- When it Powers Off – after Booting Attempt – Let set a minute – then remove [Power Plug] from PC for 5 minutes – then – Reconnect Power & try to reboot –

i have my suspiscions that it could be the motherboard or the power supply

Possible reasons – Especially if you had problems immediately -
1- New Graphics Card not – [Compatible/Supported to/by Motherboard
2- Power Supply cannot support new Graphics Card –[Note] – New Video Cards today – Demand more Power -

That is all – I can suggest – until I obtain more info –
Jack123