Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Problems.

• Please log in to reply

hvc801

hvc801

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Well, I just put together my new motherboard, video card, processor, and heatsink. I have a DFI LanParty UT RDX200 Cross-Fire AMD Motherboard, AMD 3200 64 processor (socket 939) and XFX 6600GT PCI Express 16x grafics card. Im not new at building computers, but this problem i am having has never happened to me and I don't know how to resolve it. I screw the motherboard in, securing it, making sure its in place correctly, then add the processor -> coolant gell -> heatsink. then grafix card. then wire them all together ensuring every plug is connected to the right component. Go to put the computer on .. wammo is works beutifully, but .. whats this... the monitors not going on ..? the computer is running nicley, sounds good, but no monitor. Whys this happeneing? What can I do to resolve this. Thank you so much for any help. Its highly appriciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
that's a nifty looking board....have you tried resetting the BIOS? you can either do this by moving the CMOS jumper (check your manual for instructions)....or by taking out the cmos battery while the machine is off

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
can you give me the info on your psu?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://www.xfxforce....ries_Manual.pdf that's the manual for the video card...it asks to make sure you have an extra power dongle (basically the molex cable for a hard drive)...but never tells you to hook such a thing up...i would assume there is either somewhere on the card or somewhere on the board to plug in the power...but..i don't see either on any of the pictures i can find

hvc801

hvc801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Well, the video card goes on and runs, you can hear it and the fan is spinning. my power supply is an old one .. only 420watts. the motherboard says to run a minimum of 400 watts. What cable would that be ... you said it looks like a plug that goes into the hard drive?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
that's what the manual mentions...but i don't see anywhere to plug it in...that's what doesn't make sense...it would look exactly like the power cable (not the ide cable) for your hd...

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I had that reset the CMOS then try it. It worked for me!

hvc801

hvc801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Yes, i did. I took the double pinned receptor off the pins on the motherboard and placed it on the second and the third pin because thats labeld as "clear CMOS" But, I'm not sure if it worked or not. I shut the power off, shut the switch to the psu off, place the pin on clear CMOS power up the computer, but then i dont know hwats going on .. and I dont know it if worked or not. So i powered off the machine again, switched the pin back to normal and still, the monitor would not go on.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well try turning the machine off and removing tha cable but this time when you move the pins try taking out the battery for 10 minutes that way you know it will b reset.

hvc801

hvc801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Well, thanks for the help guys. Still no luck. I think i need to get a better psu, because the one im running with right now is pretty shot. But thanks for all the help, you guys have been good.