Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

yet another activation issue

• Please log in to reply

Bradbx

Bradbx

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My PC was acting strange, so I formatted the OS partition and reinstalled. full OEM version of XP pro (says version 2002 on the CD), purchased from Newegg in august of '04 (along with the parts for the computer I built). I have not changed any physical hardware, but I did update the firmware in the video card and the motherboard.

It installs correctly with the product key (still have the certificate of auth. tag), but activation does not work. I've called them at least 5 times, but the automated attendant just says the key is invalid, says "sorry I couldnt activate" and hangs up. I never get the option to talk to a live person. I've tried my key and another OEM key listed on microsofts website.

In another post (by Keith) I saw a mention to the product support services
http://support.micro...;EN-US;CNTACTMS
But since my product is OEM they want to charge me $35.

Anyone have a suggestion? If paying $35 to talk to someone will let me get a working copy I'd do it, but I'd be pissed if they just said "OEM, tough luck".

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To activate your product over the telephone, use one of the following numbers:

• Office activation (U.S. only): (888) 652-2342

• Windows activation: (888) 571-2048

• TTY number: (800) 718-1599

Bradbx

Bradbx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the windows activation number you posted is the one I've been using. is it possible my computer got a virus or something that gave out my key to someone else?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am more of the opinion that the MS phone system is screwed up. DId you try only today, or over a couple days.

You should be able to reach a live person at the number of above...try NOT plugging any number into the phone when they ask for the key and waiting....the system should kick you over to an attendant

Wait a day, just in case it's their system.

Bradbx

Bradbx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
darn, I didnt think of not entering in a number. I'll try that tonight if I get home in time, thanks for the suggestion. I tried several times over the course of a week I think.

Edited by Bradbx, 13 January 2006 - 12:25 PM.