Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winlogon.exe application error message

• Please log in to reply

Black Bandit

Black Bandit

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

I hope someone can help, I would much appreciate any suggestions. I have a homebuilt system P4, WinXP sp-2 all of the updates and has been running without problems at all for 1-2 years now.

I somehow for the first time got infected by addware it appears and ran all of the scanners for spysheriff and fixed the problem (I have done and did extensive searching on the WWW forums with the initial problem being fixed).

My issue now is I get a winlogon.exe appication error message evertime I load windows as the administrator user account (which is the only account). If I click anywhere on the message (x, Ok, Cancel) it will shutdown windows and go to blue screen of death as general fault?

If I choose to leave it alone I can usually work around for a short time but sometimes have no access to Shutdown, Cntrl/Alt/Delete or other random functions?

I have done extensive searching on the WWW without any real suggestions to try short of WindowsXP repair console. I have on my computer hundreds of kids pictures, work files, music mp3's and other personal information that I really don't want to lose of reinstall? I do not really want to reinstall WindowsXP since I seem to have fixed the malware/addware problem.

Anyway, sorry for the long post.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be much, much appreciated!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

PS: If you think Windows XP CD repair function might work without deleting and having to reinstall any programs, let me know.

Christopher

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The windows xp repair process pinned to the top of this forum does not disturb any data or programs.

However, I suspect that you are still infected with malware. Have you visited our malware forum, or is the system to unstable to follow the instructions there?