Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphics card recommendations plz!

• Please log in to reply

dancingcleo

dancingcleo

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a new graphics card. I don't need supreme detail just something that'll run the latest games and look pretty good. If possible I'd like it to last at least a couple of years. Does a better graphics card help your pc run games quicker cos it can produce images faster? I think the sapphire x800gto2 looks quite good. dya reckon i'd need to spend that amount or could i get away with summat a bit cheaper? or would it b worth splashin out a little bit more? Any suggestions appreciated!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Faster gfx card makes games run faster, i would say the gto2 would be about right for you, you can also flash a new bios onto it and make it into an x850 on some of them so when it starts to show its age you can give it a boost.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah, get something in the x800 series. X800gt or above.

dancingcleo

dancingcleo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Cool, thanks i think i'll get the gto2. Just out of interest does flashing the bios invalidate the warranty? (not that that would necessarily put me off just wanna no) and what exactly does flashin the bios involve doin?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you do try to flash it your warranty is gone. I dont recommend flashing your video card. It actually doesnt help much at all.... All it does is makes your video cards temperature rise. Your better off just with plain overclocking with a better gpu cooler that you can buy. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah bios flashing advantage gains are dpendant on the card, i have been reading on the x800GTO2 and by combining the flash and overclocking to x850XT PE sppeds you gain 35% on the cards performance of which only 10% is from the extra pipelines you open up in the flash.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I have done flashing, the thing is when you achieve the high speeds of a faster card from a higher bios the temperatures rise. The gameplay over time, maybe an hour it starts to get boggy alittle. Yeah it can make your fps rise if you flash to a faster bios for awhile. If you push it too far even with a high quality aftermarket cooler it can still bog down after hours of gameplay.

Ya you may think its great, but in reality the card isnt meant for the faster bios. Trust me I have done it... I put it back even after I bought a high quality massive cooler. I put back to the original bios, but then overclocked the card with the original bios. You get better results that way believe it or not.

It doesnt hurt to try the flashing if you know what your doing, but you can mess something up and wipe your whole card if you are clueless.

We are not responsible if you choose to flash it. ITS Your fault if you screw it up!!!! Says on the site when you register....

I had a different card though, it was a 6800gt flashed to a 6800 ultra.

Up to you! Cya