Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

holy headache batman

• Please log in to reply

aleite314

aleite314

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Somewhat familiar with computers, I have a stock hp pavillion 514n. I took out the processor to clean the board up a little bit. plugged it back in..... presto, nothing. Computer turns on, low humming noise, no signal on monitor, green light is on behind the computer as usual, but the green light that turns on when computer is booted up is now replaced with a yellow light. Very frustrated. I have tried reseating the processor and ram a dozen times...still nothing. I unplugged power when i cleaned all this so i cant see how anything would fry. And it was running perfectly before i cleaned it...please help

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Did you put the heatsink fan back on? Did you use a thermal paste when you did that?

A cpu can fry in less than a second if not adequately cooled..

When you reinsterted the CPU, were there any wires from the power supply to the motherboard that could have come dislodged?

Any chance you put the CPU in wrong,as in turned 1/4 too much to the right or left?

aleite314

aleite314

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
heat sink fan is in, wires and ribbons all plugged in, did not use a thermal paste, and the cpu was cool it had not been used for 2 months and i turned it on to see if it worked then shut down and cleaned it...does anyone know if the yellow light is a diagnostic light? if so what does it mean and how can i fix it? thanks for the reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Sure, it was cool when you put it in, but then you started your PC and it went from 0c to 120c in about 1 second.

The yellow light is a diagnostic light and it means hardware issue. Unfortunately, it isnot very specific--it just means system problem, but does not indicate what system

Since you are not hearing any beeps (bios beep codes), I would bet money you toasted your CPU when you inserted it without the benefit of heatsink/fan/thermal paste.

A toasted CPU will allow your PC to powerup, the fans to spin and the drives to run, because even when fried it completes the circuit. But its brain is dead.

If everything is connected properly, I cannot think of anything else it could be

aleite314

aleite314

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I believe i found the problem, i found a prong missing from the cpu i think it came dislodged when i took out the heatsink. Can one missing prong from the cpu yield the results listed above? And is this cpu salvageable.