Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow pc, not defrag problem

• Please log in to reply

grifter

grifter

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi I posted in here before about this problem but it's definately not been helped by tune up, defragging, or clearing up the computer. The problem is that my pc is very slow when right clicking on files or folders, or by slecting them and clicking file from the toolbar. The only ideas I have are that it could be the hard drive or a virus, but either way leaving it hasn't worked. It's not connected to the internet either. Can anybody help?!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download the following tool

http://www.nirsoft.n...s/shexview.html

Extracts and load.

Click on COMPANY column, and sort. Select each item that is NOT from Microsoft. HOLD THE SHIFT KEY DOWN as you select each item to select multiple items

Press the RED button at the top

Say yes to disable

Reboot.

You have now disabled all non-MS context menu extensions.

Does the problem continue on reboot?

Post back.

grifter

grifter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That did the trick! it's a lot better now, thank you!

bharwell

bharwell

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Please help. After I click on your link, what am I to do? Don't see any extracts and load?

Feeling really stupid.