Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP SP2 Set Up Advice

• Please log in to reply

Sgooter

Sgooter

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Your great team fixed my infected PC last month, and it's still running clean and smooth. I'm now interested in installing Win XP SP2 and would like your advice on the best way to set it up given my current PC's operating configuration:
Win XP SP1
Norton Anit-Virus - 2006
Zone Alarm (free version) used as my firewall
Spybot
Ad-aWare

Thanks,
Sgooter

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm gonna move this to the O/S forum since it's not malware related

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Sgooter...

You have three choices available to you...
  • Update from the Windows Update site
  • Download This Version for IT professionals and save it to your hard drive. Burn it to a cd and hang on to it for future use as your XP installation CD does not contain it.
  • Order SP2 on CD from Microsoft.
Having this update on CD would have obvious benefits in your situation since it is not a part of your XP installation CD. If you should ever have to do a repair install or complete reinstall of Windows, you would have to download this update again. This is a very large download and takes quite a long time to download, even on a high speed connection.

wannabe1

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
disable
Norton Anit-Virus - 2006
Zone Alarm (free version) used as my firewall
during the upgrade