Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Kodak Z700 - Configuration

• Please log in to reply

th3

th3

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
My other computer has collapsed and as a result I have had to recover some deleted files from the digital camera.

Those on the SD card have been easily recovered but there are 3 other files (that I know of) on the Camera memory.

Using 'Search and Recover 3' I have found the following in the help files.....

"Search for Removable Media
Search and Recover can locate and restore deleted items on most portable electronic devices, such as digital cameras, MP3 players, flash memory and drives, and more. The device must be connected to your computer and configured as a drive in Windows. Most portable electronic devices are bundled with special drivers and other software that provide this type of connection between the device and Windows.

If the device is configured as a drive but still does not appear, make sure that the:
Cord is properly plugged in.
Device is powered and turned on.
Device is in proper mode to transfer data to the computer, if applicable.

For more information about your device, see the product documentation, or contact the manufacturer."

I've looked through the manual, checked for forums etc but as yet no joy as to how I configure the camera as a drive.......

The KodakEasyshare software is an absolute nightmare and crashes my PC everytime I install it.........

Anybody know a quick solution?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you just hook the usb cable to the camera (without the greasyshare stuff) it should be detected as just a drive...that easyshare stuff is useless (crappy camera too)

th3

th3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Dsenette and many thanks for your help.

It displays ok but as a camera (not a drive) and as such the recovery software doesn't recognise it. The SD card was easy 'cos I have a card reader which shows it as a drive(I).

Easyshare software is not installed...thank god....but Windows picks it up anyhow. Have tried removing the driver etc but each and every time it is plugged in it's recognised as a camera.

It wouldn't matter as it's only a few pictures but they are for the girlfriends college course so they are kind of important.

It needs to be allocated a drive letter.....(at least that what the recovery software indicates).......

Edited by th3, 13 January 2006 - 07:39 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you right click my computer > manage > disk manager....does the camera show up in there?

th3

th3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
In case anybody has a similar problem with Kodak, this is the reply I eventually recieved from customer support.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the camera connection with a drive letter.

In the latest version of the Easyshare software, the software no longer creates a driver letter in My Computer. So to be able to see the camera in My Computer, please follow the next few instructions:

First you will need to shutdown the Easyshare Software by right clicking on the Kodak icon in the task bar next to the clock. Select Shutdown Easyshare software from the list.

Now, you will need to launch the "Camera Connection Software" by doing the following:

- Click on START>Control Panel>Administative Tools>Services

- Search for the "Kodak Camera Connection Software" in the list

- right click on this and select START

Turn the camera off then back on, you should then see the camera in My Computer.

Once you have transferred or restored your images, you will now need to stop the Camera connection software. Go back to the same location as before, right click on the Kodak camera connection software and select STOP.

Now close all windows that have been opened, double click on the Easyshare software to reactivate, as we had before deactivated it to get the camera drive letter.

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. If applicable, please quote your camera serial number or your customer reference number.

Haven't been able to test it yet though....the GF dropped the camera yesterday and broke it :) :tazz:

Tony

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
thanks for posting that..that will surely be helpful to someone...and...sorry about the camera..