Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Memory Key

• Please log in to reply

ilovecolgate

ilovecolgate

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I have a 128 mb flash dell memory key and when i put it into my windows 98 it says unknown driver. It gives me an option of what to do and i have tried alot of them but it still won't work! The options are Floppy disk, cd ROM (I do not have a cd to install the key), and specify a specific location. Please help.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
128 Mb Flash Dell Memory Key
13th Jan 2006

Total Review -
http://www.dealtime....RD-179057823364

To connect this drive, you simply plug it into the USB port of your computer. There are no drivers to load and you won't have to insert any discs. Since most new computers now come with a couple of USB ports right in the front, plugging in this memory drive is just like putting a floppy disk in the drive. My system has Windows XP and the first time I plugged in the memory stick, my computer took about ten seconds to recognize it as a Dell Memory Stick. My PC then set it up for use as a Removable Disk Drive that shows up under My Computer just like another hard drive. After the initial setup, it takes my PC just a couple of seconds to recognize the drive when I plug it in.

Specs Link
http://www.dealtime...._2_0_Memory_Key

I have a 128 mb flash dell memory key and when i put it into my windows 98 it says unknown driver.

The problem is that your USB Drivers for your WIN2000 XP OS PC are located in your Service Pack – and for your WIN98 OS PC has USB Drivers – you need to locate – try links below – OR – Try Dell Website being – they [Own Problem] – You may have to update – WIN98 BIOS – Is this a Dell also [??] – Again Contact Dell if this is the case -

Try this Link – for [WIN98 USB Drivers]
http://www.usb-drive...mpanies/667.htm

USB Drivers-
http://www.lvr.com/usbwin.htm

WIN98 USB Driver Problems – similar to you
http://www.computing...forum/5110.html

Jack123

ilovecolgate

ilovecolgate

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok, I know where and how to plug it in. I lloked at those links and i didn't find anything that could help my problem. I have a windows 98 gold edition and it is a power spec. Made by microcenter. I guess if i hade a speific file path when i try to put on the flash drive i could tell it to go to a specofoc place and just load. I am semi-confused. is there any specific places i could tell it to go to so it will just load? well we'll see

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
28 Mb Flash Dell Memory Key (#2)
14th Jan 2006

Try Searching PC for Driver –

1- Click [Start Button]
2- Highlight – [Search] & Click on [Search for Files & Folders named]
3- Now type – *USB*.sys - In [Search for Files & Folders named] Window
4- Check [Advance Options] & Check [Search Subfolders]
5- Click [Search now]

This should locate all your usb Diver location – Simply use this Location to set [Path] – when requested –

Jack123

ilovecolgate

ilovecolgate

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I did that and the only locations it gave me were C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS and
C:\WINDOWS\CATROOT\7F...
and they both didn't work :tazz:

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
128 Mb Flash Dell Memory Key (#3)
14th Jan 2006

Try this Link – and – Browse for – usbstor.sys – for Win-98 – then download
http://www.usb-drive...mpanies/667.htm

Jack123

ilovecolgate

ilovecolgate

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I found usbstor.sys that works with all windows and i downloaded it but i can't open it. I tried winrar and power archeiver ut they didn't work. When i do open it it is like some old ancient egyption writing that is about 10 pages long i don't know what it is.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
128 Mb Flash Dell Memory Key (#4)
16th Jan 2006

found usbstor.sys that works with all windows and i downloaded it but i can't open it. I tried winrar and power archeiver ut they didn't work. When i do open it it is like some old ancient egyption writing that is about 10 pages long i don't know what it is.

Why do you want to open – Let [Device Manager] – [PnP] – do its job –

The options are Floppy disk, cd ROM (I do not have a cd to install the key), and specify a specific location. Please help.

1- Plug Device in USB Port
2- PnP should – [Find New Hardware]
3- Popup Screen should ask for Driver Location –
4- Type the – [Downloaded Location] –
5- Click OK –

You may have to provide – usbstor.inf – File [??] – Search those Links for it –

Also that version of – [usbstor.sys] – may not work – You need an early version – see if there is one for WIN 98 – [Ver5.0.2112.1]

You may have to ask Dell to provide a Driver -

Jack123

ilovecolgate

ilovecolgate

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I did that and there isn't any usbstor.sys for just windows 98 so i had to use that all version one.

After i downloaded the usbstor.sys i right clicked it to make sure i had the exact file path and typed that file path in when I tried to install the Memory Key.

It didn't work. I tried multiple variations i thought that it could of been but it didn't work. Then when I clicked browse I couldn't evn find it.

yet when i went to the location in a different window it was still there

By the way i couldn't find a usbstor.inf file

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
128 Mb Flash Dell Memory Key (#5)
16th Jan 2006

Ok - – Here is a good tool – to analyze your PC with – Install [Everest] on WIN 98 PC –

Download the Free Home Edition of [EVEREST] so we can analyze your PC http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

Download & Run [EVEREST] & do the following steps to obtain 3 [REPORTS] – Need to [Create] & [Save] – 3 Separate [Reports] – as HTML Documents by using [Quick Report Summary] – Mode – Save these in a Folder – that you can find - & Attach all 3 to your next Post –

Do not use Text Format – Nor do you want to embed these [Reports] in your Post – Only use [Attachment] Mode – These [Reports] – are Too Long – to place in Post – The Forum will truncate – the [Reports] + The Report will be >20 pages –

Complete the Following 2 Procedures – [How to Make Everest HTML Reports] & [How to Attach Files to your Post] - [Answer questions] Post back -

[How to Make – Everest HTML Reports] –

Report-1: [Ilovechoclate-CPU-1]

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [SUMMARY] Folder
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] >On Pop Up/Down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-Summary] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Ilovechoclate -CPU-1] & attach to POST

Report –2: Ilovechoclate -Mobo-1]

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [MOTHERBOARD] Folder –[Main Folder]
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-Motherboard] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Ilovechoclate -Mobo-1] & attach to POST

Report –3 :[Ilovechoclate t -Devices-1]

1 – Expand [DEVICES] Folder
2 – Click on [DEVICES] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT]>[Quick Report-Devices]> [HTML]
4 – Save as File [Ilovechoclate -Devices-1] & attach to Post

[How to Add Attachment to Post]

1- Click On [Add a Reply]
2- Scroll down to bottom of [Reply Window] to [File Attachments]
3- Click [Browse] and then locate the [Everest Report Files] – That you saved on your PC
4- Click on file - it should now appear in [File Attachment] Window
5- Click on [Add Attachment] Button
6-Wait until it is added
7- Click [Add to Post] Button
8- Repeat Steps [3 thru 7] – locating the other 2 Reports & attach them to Post –
9- Click [Add Reply] Button to send

Additional PC info needed – just Post in Body of Post

1- How old is PC
2- Laptop – Desktop - Tower
3- This is an UPGRADE from WIN 98
4- Make & Model of PC
5- OS & SP installed
6- Name & MFG of Printer
7- How many USB Devices – List them

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 16 January 2006 - 11:17 AM.

Advertisements

ilovecolgate

ilovecolgate

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
1-7 years old
2-Desktop
3-Windows 98 gold edition
4-Microcenter-powerspec
5-I do not understand what you are asking
6-Hp(Hppsc 2355 All in 1)
7-1,Usb-Wingman logitech PC controller.

Attached Files

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
128 Mb Flash Dell Memory Key –(#6)
19th Feb 2006

Hello – I am very sorry – I have no idea how I lost track of this Thread/Issue – I must of had a whole series of my – [Senior Moments] - ??

Ok I will Post this now – just to get this thread active again & bump it up into –[current events] – I need to print this thread & review your Reports – before I can give you any – [Technical Post] –

I am just lost for – [Words] – Totally Speechless -

I am truly sorry –
Jack123

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Download this driver http://www.diskonkey...r_Installer.zip
After download unzip the file

ilovecolgate

ilovecolgate

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I have a 98 reformatted I cannot open these .zip files It asks me what to open it with. Do I have to download something to open these?

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
download WinRAR