Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did you know?

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Is Microsoft in the right doing this?

Do you think that Microsoft should be allowing Firefox users use Windows Update?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Firefox users can't access Windows Updates, do you think this is fair?

Edited by Matt T, 16 December 2007 - 09:39 PM.

Advertisements

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Microsoft's update sites use ActiveX, which only Internet Explorer uses. You can still get away with not using IE to get updates by using automatic updates.

Matt T

Matt T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Makes sense :tazz:

Edited by Matt T, 16 December 2007 - 09:40 PM.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Service Pack 3 for Windows XP hasn't been released yet. I don't use MSN Messenger, so I don't know.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah no such thing as SP3 to get the handwriting the only way i know is to have the full office 2003 package with the onenote software and it works through that.

Its really understandable, Microsoft made IE and its heavily integrated into windows and they used it so the activex controls could check validity, firefox doesnt use activex so that wouldnt work obviously. You can still use FF just use the IE tab plugin for that stuff.

Matt T

Matt T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Oh I see :tazz:

Edited by Matt T, 16 December 2007 - 09:41 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Handwriting is available with Office XP Pro and Office 2003 Pro

Matt T

Matt T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
It would help if I had the full Microsoft Office package then :tazz:

Edited by Matt T, 16 December 2007 - 09:41 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I am sick of Firefox and trying to accomodate all of its quirks. MS sold us the OS, and they are entitled to update it any way they choose. They could tap a few keys and send (almost) every Windows computer online off, delete its data and crash the Internet. We have to trust that some disgruntled code monkey doesn't get fed up and "go postal". Meanwhile, Firefox comes along and misleads people who should know better that it is "safer" than IE (just not as functional, sorry) and so far they've just been lucky. Firefox wasn't a target for hackers like IE, and people just didn't care enough about Firefox to target it. That has changed, because supposedly savvy people all use Firefox, and they have better computers. Then Firefox developed all these plug ins to comfort those who missed the options available with IE by default, and now Firefox users are running a bloated insecure poorly supported browser, and are still under some kind of magic spell that they are "safe". Firefox isn't even convenient to use, but the loyalty it has inspired is awesome. Last thing before I step off my soapbox, the "safety" of IE is entirly dependent on the user, and MS is working on that by making it as idiot-proof as possible. They realeased the XP firewall and the Anti Spyware for their benefit, not because the market necessary wanted or needed it, but because MS doesn't want the Internet to crash- that would seriously undermine their cash flow! LOL

rmurphy- you are correct, SP3 has not been officially released yet, but almost every update since SP2 is tagged SP3. It's coming.

Johanna

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
I always thought that you cant access Microsoft site from Firefox becasue the fact that the browser isnt " MICROSOFT Internet Explorer", its sought of like using a BMW's door key on a Merc's door. It just doesnt fit. I think its right though, Microsoft with Microsoft, not Microsoft and Linux or Mozilla.

Cool :)

Edit: Oh yes, this is also the first poll I have seen on this site, great. :tazz:

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 15 January 2006 - 02:00 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dont think i agree with you on firefox johanna , it has more functionality than IE not less, and even at high settings i pick up more spyware and adaware than firefox set at medium to low so the results for me on my computer speak for themselves.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i strongly disagree with what you are saying here Johanna, firefox is much more secure as there is less people browsing on it at the moment then IE. There are other examples then just this however saying this no matter where you are, or what browser you use you will always be at a risk. Not even MS can or at any point stop this. In my opinion as long as you are surfing a the "more" populaire browser you will always be, IN MOST CASES, at a greater risk. As for shutting down every computer at the click of a button, i'm sure micrsoft doesn't have this power, because if they did, they would have had someone attempt to do it by now. Instead of just trying to access individual computers.
However this is my view and others most likely share a different one.

thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 January 2006 - 08:19 PM.