Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinSock problem on XP Home

• Please log in to reply

dynamicdavid

dynamicdavid

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Having a wierd problem. (please respond as technically as you wish, as I have worked in tech support in the past... I am just totally stumped on this problem)

I downloaded something, and tried to install it and realized it was a big mistake almost immediately when nothing happened after I launched the install.

I have ran virus sweeps using McAfee and have also used Ewido, and currently am half way through a complete system scan.

Here is the problem: Network card continues to have 169.254.32.41 as the IP address.

I have removed the LAN card and ununstalled/re-installed 4 times on this machine.

After my 1st ewido scan, and a TCP/IP fix, I was able to get on the internet... but then rebooted, and the problem came back and I have not been able to fix it since.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi dynamicdavid! Welcome to G2G!

Please download the file WinsockXPFix, which is attached to this post. Make sure all windows are closed before running it. After it is completed it will reboot your computer. Once rebooted see how your internet connection is and post here how things are going.

Fenor

Attached Files

dynamicdavid

dynamicdavid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi dynamicdavid! Welcome to G2G!

Please download the file WinsockXPFix, which is attached to this post. Make sure all windows are closed before running it. After it is completed it will reboot your computer. Once rebooted see how your internet connection is and post here how things are going.

Fenor

First of all, Not sure if it matters, but I do not have SP2 with XP Home. I have heard mixed reviews of if SP2 is useful, so I have not installed it.

Actually, WinsockXPfix.exe is the app that I downloaded and installed off of MajorGeeks.com earlier today (actually 5 hours ago), and when I did this the first time, it was at the same time that I was doing a Fast Scan using Ewido (so far, after 2 different scans, I have removed close to 300 'things', including a couple of trojans... one of them was calledTrojan.Delf.cf (the app was located in the system32 folder as x748.exe).

Almost immediately, I checked my IP address using the 'ipconfig' command with 'cmd' and it was communitcating with my Linksys Vonage Phone adapter... and I have no problem going to google.com or pinging different websites.
I was thrilled, stopped the scan (big mistake), and rebooted as WinsockXPfix instructed. I also ran xptcpprep.exe and installed the app... I ran the 'Reset TCP/IP' option but when I clicked on 'Repair Winsock' an error said I had to have SP2, which I do not)

Once it rebooted, I repeated the 'cmd'; 'ipconfig' and I was back to the 169.254.32.41 IP address.
I ran the 'lspfix.exe' and removed all the items listed.

SO; Since then... I have repeatedly removed the LAN adapter device (Soyo P4VTE mobo), by disabling it in the BIOS.
THen Downloaded the driver from Soyo's website for the LAN adapter and put it on my Thumb USB drive... from 'Safe Mode' I removed the LAN driver, and then rebooted to 'normal mode' on 'xp home' 2 times, then rebooted.
(I have not manually gone into system diretories to manually remove drivers, because I am not sure what to delete)
I removed Networking, in safe mode, and then rebooted 2x to normal mode.

I then reinstalled Networking from Safemode.
THen went back to the BIOS, re-enabled the LAN, and then rebooted to Safe Mode. From 'Safe Mode' I did a complete scan after reinstalling Ewido; and ran the install for the LAN device.

I am still getting the same result... same 169.x.x.x ip address.

Currently in Safe Mode. I have not rebooted... and I am very curious if you guys can help me fix this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for reading, and if you have any suggestions... I would greatly appreciate your input.

dynamicdavid

dynamicdavid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
quick note: I have stopped ALL the general TaskTray items, so they are not a concern.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Seems to me that you have a Malware issue that is repeatedly changing the settings for your Network Card. I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Fenor

dynamicdavid

dynamicdavid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks 'fenor'... :tazz:

However it seems the my network protocal stacks are somehow totally screwed up.

I am now able to get on the internet, but I have to specify my IP address and my ISP's DNS servers. If I do not do this, and leave them on "obtain automatically" then I am not able to talk with my router.

By specifying everything, I have no problems and can access the router that I have and get online.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What was it that you downloaded & tried to install that caused this problem in the first place?

Fenor