Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC does not boot

• Please log in to reply

Ravish261

Ravish261

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just got a new tower case and transfered all hardware to the new case, but when i went to turn it on the light flashed, fans turned and then in this second it turned off. The only way i could get it to attempt to boot was to unplug and replug the AC cable. I've checked cords, changed battery and switched the JP5 jumper, but cannot find any progress to fix this issue, I've also tried a different switch from another case and a different power supply. I guess I could try another Motherboard, but i hope that's not the problem x.x

Advertisements

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hey rav,
that doesnt sound too good. theoretically there is only 3 cables at most that is needed to make that cpu fan spin. the 20 pin and the 4 pin if applicable that connect to your mainboard. and the cable from your fan that goes into the mainboard. (i dont know if its actually necessary for you to have the CPU installed to shoot power through the mainboard to get the fan spinning, but god forbid anybody tries it to verify this)

but right now
its sounds like either you have two dead psu's, or one dead mainboard. unless its possible that you didnt connect your cables properly. then it may be neither.

it sounds like either situation is possible. dead psu's or just burnt out mainboard. god forbid you fried your cpu in the process. you did exactly what i would have done, by replacing the battery... and i would have done that only because ive had a couple of experiences where the mainboard wouldnt power on after i tried overclocking the cpu (which i no longer do), and just needed to take it out and put it back in again to get it going.

Did you take the correct measures to avoid burning out the motherboard?
i.e. not ground out the board against the case by screwing it in too tightly; mounting the board on insulated spacers
avoid working in a frictious (is that a word?) environment where static electricity is conducted.

try a power supply unit that you know for sure is working. disconnect all other hardware with the exception of ram, and video card and see if you can get that mainboard to power on.

if none of that works...

ill stop there.
good luck on that rav

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hey rav,
i found this in the geekstogo troubleshoot thread located at the top of this forum section. it wouldnt hurt to try this. gl hf

Still won’t go

1-Remove the motherboard from the case and place on a piece of cardboard
2-Install only the cpu with hsf, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, psu, video card, case switch and case speaker
3-Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
4-Repeat the above and power on
5-If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Make sure you have the spacers properly on, from a quick look at your post it sounds like the case is touching the board and its shorting.

Ravish261

Ravish261

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It was the PSU o.O I was using the exact same one and for some reason it would not boot the pc... I grabbed a 350 psu from another pc and it booted it up just fine and stays on heh. Thank you guys.

~More problems than i anticipated..

Using another PSU my fans come on, the LED lights up, but i don't get a picture on the monitor and also now my cd-rom drive doesn't turn on or open while the pc is on.

I'll try what you found Kalian, see if the mainboard might be touching the case.

Edited by Ravish261, 14 January 2006 - 01:37 PM.

Ravish261

Ravish261

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, I did the cardboard thing. The motherboard touching the case was the problem, also my cd-rom now opens and i can hear my hard drive working. but i still have a couple more problems to solve.

Only one fan on the PSU works, i also have the fan cable from the PSU plugged into the board.
My video card fan does not come and i also still do not get any picture on the monitor.

I have tested the PSU on the PC i am using now to write this post and it didn't work, the one i currently have in the other PC is brand new. When the motherboard was touching the case, neither of the fans in the PSU were spinning and my CPU heatsink wasn't getting hot.

Edited by Ravish261, 14 January 2006 - 02:48 PM.

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
there are alot of things that will keep the video card from sending a signal to the mainboard.

the most common problems are

1. incorrect installation of gfx card - is there a 4 pin power socket on the gfx card that you may have missed? is the card installed securely?
2. power issue i.e. defective psu/insufficient psu or missed cable (the 4 pin socket)
3. incorrect installation of ram - this doesnt sound like the problem but doesnt hurt to make sure that you did install them the way its configured in your mainboard manual.

when you tell me only one fan in your psu is turning that is an automatic red flag. if you used a 350w psu and it booted up fine and tried another similar one and it didnt work. than i would lean to yet another defective psu. try a name brand one with good reviews.

also if you could. could you post the specifications of your setup.
i.e. mainboard/cpu, memory, video gfx card, hard drives, other drives, and number of case fans. this information would help in recommending a psu. as a matter of fact one of the g2g guys posted an awesome link in a previous post on psu's and how to calculate which one is the right one for you. ill see if i can find it. it was a good site. i skimmed thru but didnt bookmark it because it didnt really apply to me =/

unfortunately im not a very technical guy. When i buy psu's i just buy one that will meet the specifications of my board, and one that i know will offer more than enough power for my setup. but im sure based on your pc specs, one of the g2g guys could point you in the right direction on what psu is best for your need.

nonetheless. post back and let us know how that troubleshooting exercise goes.
gl hf