Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hardware buying...Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Hi all,

Help me decide what brand and what model motherboard I should get and where... I currently have an athalon 64 4200 X2 Dual Core CPU...2 Gigz of CORSAIR PC3200 CAS 3 RAM...A 500 W Ultra Modular 20pin Power supply(if a converter can be used let me know) PCI Audigy 2 sound card, Firewire PCI Card, and a Wirless G PCI Card (so atleast 3 PCI Slots) I am getting a Radeon X800 GTO PCI Express 16X Card. I need help finding a motherboard to replace my Screwed up Asus A8V KT800 Pro...mobo that i just sent back for a refund... I need to stay in a budget of 80 to 100 Dollars... and it has to be Standard ATX... and I want to have Dual Channel Ram Support...

Edited by strikermed, 13 January 2006 - 11:13 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. For AMD recommened motherboards, check here:
http://forums.amd.co...hp?showforum=18

Edited by austin_o, 14 January 2006 - 11:09 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I likw the MSI k8neo4 boards among the highest quality and reliabe motherboards on the market and a good price, Abit is on par with MSI but they can be a bit more or some with slightly fewer features, then gigabyte is cheaper and still good but they arent quite Abit or MSI, DFI boards are also good if you are an overclocker or have a window.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
So would it be smarter to buy an abit board or a MSI board. Thanks for that website for the compatible boards.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I have another question regarding hard drives too... I am looking at SATA drives... my question is can you run IDE and SATA drives at the same time... say like 1 SATA drive being the OS drive... and the IDE drive being the addtional storage???? Also Which is faster for SATA drive... SATA150 or SATA 3.0GB/S????

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I have another question regarding hard drives too... I am looking at SATA drives... my question is can you run IDE and SATA drives at the same time... say like 1 SATA drive being the OS drive... and the IDE drive being the addtional storage???? Also Which is faster for SATA drive... SATA150 or SATA 3.0GB/S????

Yes you can run 1 sata harddrive and 1 ide harddrive, thats what im doing right now. You just go into the bios and change it to auto under the sata controller options. Sata 3.0 Gb/s is faster than sata 150 and make shure you get a motherboard that supports sataII if you want a sataII harddrive so you wont run into any problems. Sata150 drives are fine though.. :tazz:

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Thanks!

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Ok... my final question is can you run say, 2 IDE drives and 1 SATA drive? Because I am thinking about doing this... but if its not possibly I will just get an enclosure and put one of my drives in it and use it as an external drive

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can have as many IDE drives and SATA drives as you want or can fit in your case.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
OK...thanks....glad to hear that....My final question is before i go buying this new motherboard is>>>> will my Powersupply support the ABIT USA mobo KN8 NF4 with a 24 to 20 pin converter----Powersupply: Specs Ultra X-connect 500 W

+3.3VDC +5VDC +12VDC -12VDC -5VDC +5VSB
28A ------30A---- 34A----- 0.8A--- 0.3A ---2.0A
----------200W------ 408W---9.6W----1.5W---10W
|----------480W--------------|----------- 20W--------|
|---------------------------500W-----------------------|

here is a link to where i bought it
http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=373029
(exact one)

Edited by strikermed, 18 January 2006 - 02:48 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you buy the 20 to 24 pin convertor it will work, just plug it in.

You should of bought a powersupply with the 20 pin +4 connector that will work with either 20 pin or 24 pin like the newer truepower antecs, but with the convertor it should be fine.

Actually make shure its a 20 to 24 pin connector.

For use with 20 pin power supplies that must connect to a 24pin ATX motherboard connector.

Dont get the wrong one now, there is two adapters.

Make shure the side that goes into the motherboard is 24 pin and the side that connects to the power supply is 20 pin.!!

This is the right one to buy..

http://www.tigerdire...1419085&CatId=0

Edited by jrm20, 18 January 2006 - 03:44 PM.