Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Program uninstalled, but not gone.

• Please log in to reply

Help?

Help?

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I realize I just recently posted a different topic, but this is for my Step-father's computer, and I read to try to keep threads to only one problem, I'm nto sure if any of you are familiar with Dawn of War, an RTS comptuer game, but I've had some issues with it on his computer. It's uninstalled, but still shows in the add remove programs list, I had a feeling he deleted the files without uninstalling so I went through the registry to delete any files that had anything to do with Dawn of War, THQ, and DoW, I've got them all gone. And now the game will actually operate when I click install now (would only show hour glass and do nothing before). It'll act like it wants to install, then give me a prompt of do I want to remove all files associated with the program, when I click yes it spits out an error message saying that this process is only valid for installed programs. Backtrack, before I visited the registry, when I'd try to uninstall it in add/remove programs, install shield would start, and load about half way, then dissapear. I'm not sure what to do on this, any scans or logs needed, just tell me and I'll get them to you, my only problem is that he goes back offshore in about a week, and takes his laptop with him.

Edited by Help?, 13 January 2006 - 11:24 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Help?...

Have you tried reinstalling the game and then using it's uninstaller to remove it correctly?

wannabe1

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might read this.

http://windowsxp.mvp...g/AddRemove.htm

SRX660

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
have you tried asking your dad when and how he tried to delete the program...then doing a system restore to before that date? it would probably put enough of the game back to allow you to uninstall it correctly

Help?

Help?

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
wannabe1: Yes, I've tried that multiple times. But the game won't let me install, it immediately goes to try and uninstall what isn't there.

dsenette: He doesn't remember, and he won't let me perform a restore, he's downloaded more things since then.

SRX660: Thank you, i'll visit there right away.

Edited by Help?, 14 January 2006 - 12:16 PM.

Help?

Help?

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've tried the cleanup utility, unfortunately that didn't work, so I'm going to talk to him about his restore points and all that.