Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New install of xp pro won't install updates

• Please log in to reply

kennykeys

kennykeys

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just reformatted my drive and installed xp pro. Everything's fine except for security update glitches.

1 Automatic Update repeatedly asks to install security update KB835732. Add/Remove Programs shows it's not installed. No failure message is given.

2. I want to install the new WMF patch number KB912919 but it fails with the message that I must have at least service pack 1 installed. Add/Remove Programs shows several sp1 hotfixes and one sp2 hotfix installed but when I check My Computer->Properties it shows only XP Pro Version 2002 and no Service Pack. (My laptop shows the same operating system and version plus Service Pack 2.)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi kennykeys...

Download This Version for IT professionals and save it to your hard drive. Burn it to a cd and hang on to it for future use as your XP installation CD does not contain it.

You should be able to install this...if you have problems, post back and let us know.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 January 2006 - 11:49 PM.