Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheating

• Please log in to reply

Turgan

Turgan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm running a Pentium 4 3.0 ghz Prescott Edition with 768 ram, and 1 side fan, 2 chassis fans, psu fan, graphics card fan, and a cpu fan. Now, with that setup, you think my computer would be more than capable of running Counterstrike: Source, however, it likes to get to 73+ degrees celsius after about 2 hours of gameplay. Once it passes the threshold of 73 celsius, set on my ASUS Probe, the Probe notifies me of a temperature problem. This only happens during Counterstrike: Source, and not even during Everquest 2, which eats computers alive compared to Counterstrike. I even tried putting all of the graphical settings on Counterstrike to the lowest they can go, and it still overheats. I never had this problem with my old computer, and that had 512 ram, 64mb graphics, and a 2.4ghz celeron. What's wrong with my computer and how can I fix it?

Advertisements

Turgan

Turgan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I also forgot to add that ASUS Probe doesn't detect my PSU Fan and my Side fan spinning at all. I know they are spinning, though...I can see, feel, and hear those 2 fans going...here's a screenshot:

Posted Image

Turgan

Turgan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
bump?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I am not big into pentiums more amd so I don't know all the perfect temps and voltages of the P4 but I can give you general help.

In your screen shot the temp says 51c is this while the computer is idleing or just on the internet? If so your cpu is running hot

I always like to keep cpus running in the low 40c's at idle and mid 50c's when under full load and never hotter than 60c. This is for mximum stability.

Because of the 73c temp (assuming this was the cpu temp) you mentioned during game play

I would try cleaning the cpu and hs with isopropyl alcohol and reapplying thermal paste perferably artic silver5 according to the instructions on thier website.

I also only recommend this if you are comfortable working on computer hardware.

maybe your psu fan is not being recognized be cause it is not plugged into the correct header on the mobo and directly into the psu witch is the case with some hsf's that are not stock.

Rick