Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Driver Problems

• Please log in to reply

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi,

I've been trying to install a game which has an autorun, like many other games. This is a little hard to explain. The game im trying to install is Starcraft + Starcraft Broodwar (old I know :woot: ). Okay my friend gave these two disks to me, and they are original CD's, not burned or something like that.

Starcraft Original installed fine, the autoplay worked and stuff. After that, I decided to install Broodwar (expansion of starcraft) and thats when the autoplay didn't work. So, like many other people, the first thing I did was reboot. Now I notice that a 'Devices or Applications Disabled' pop-up thing started appearing near the Start Menu (bottom-right area) whenever I would start up XP. I clicked on that and it showed a list of my drivers and things. I looked around and saw that the Sound and Video Cards had 'Unsupported' next to them which was probably a problem. By following procedures by various sources I finally fixed the Sound Card, and that's why I'm getting sound now :tazz: but I have absolutely no clue how to fix my video card.

I suspect it's the same problem, my sound card's problem was that it needed an update. And once I did it worked fine. I'm confused about how to update my video card since there seems to unfortunately be no help procedures on that topic that I can find. The video card had a link 'Look for drivers' at the end of it's information row so I clicked on that. Then I was completely confused as to what to do next since it just showed me a website with no directions to actually find a driver :). Apparently, I don't know a lot about computers on my own :) .

I know the CD's work fine because, now that my sound works, I can hear the sound of the autoplay but I can't see the screen, which is definetly a video driver/card problem, at least I think :P.

But yeah, my overall question is how to update a video card. Since pictures explain much better than words, I have supplied a few screenshots of my story here.

Screenshots:

Screen after clicking on Devices Disabled Pop-Up :
http://i3.photobucke...joeturf/g01.jpg

Screen after clicking on 'Look for drivers' Link at the end of the red-arrow labelled row in Screenshot 1 (see, what do i do now hehe):
http://i3.photobucke...joeturf/g02.jpg

Thank You!!
-Joe

Edited by Joeturf, 14 January 2006 - 03:50 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi Keith,

I've downloaded the program and ran it and found my Video Card. However its a little obscure as to if I really found mine. Mine is a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64. I found a 'Geforce and TNT2' download section on the manufacturer's website and I'm pretty sure its my driver I'm just not sure.

Before I go any further, can you please tell me how to make a 'system restore point'? I know what it is I just don't know how tomake one, I've never really done that before :tazz:.

Thanks Again

Edited by Joeturf, 14 January 2006 - 02:26 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all the files highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up then reboot

Click start all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

The above will make for a cleaner restore point

Click start then help and support, click undo changes to my computer with system restore, put the dot in create a restore point, press enter, name it by date then you can find it easily, click create / OK

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi again,

Apparently what I thought was the appropriate download for my hardware was not it. So here's my Driver

It is a : NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 (HP) (32 MB)

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Joeturf...

Would you generate a Plain Text report from Everest and attach it to a post for me. Some video drivers have to be matched to the chipset...we can help with that.

wannabe1

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Okay, I just did the Display drivers' report. If you need everything let me know.

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That'll help. but I'll need the motherboard report, too.

Thanks for attaching that as a HTML file...so much easeir to read, but most user's have trouble with that for some reason.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 January 2006 - 12:57 AM.

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
No problem. Okay here's the Motherboard Summary.

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this the driverset your downloaded?

81.98_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe

Advertisements

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Yep, I ran the that .exe and it said that There was no hardware found for my system or something like that. Anyway, it didn't work :tazz:.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you use an "accelerator" when you downloaded?

Did you disable your Antivirus application during the installation?

Did you fully uninstall the previous driver and run a driver cleanup application before installing?

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I have no accelerator. And my antivirus application wasn't on during the time of installation. However I did not uninstall my previous driver :tazz: I'll do that :).

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

Then run Driver Cleaner and reboot before installing the drivers...see if that helps.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 January 2006 - 01:28 AM.

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Sorry but..

After I uninstalled, then rebooted My computer was REALLY slow after logging in. I suspect it was busy installing the drivers again automatically. And my moniter was in a 1024x768 resolution in a smaller one(I couldn't see the start menu, my screen cut off in the middle of my desktop) it was really weird.

Fortunately I had set a restore point before just incase. So here I am again, is there anyway to turn off that automatic driverinstalling thing? Or is there some other reason why it would run so slow after uninstalling the drivers + rebooting.

Thanks