Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Driver Problems

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Your machine was installing the device without the drivers...you were seeing a very low resolution display, probably 4bit. Understandable with nothing to tell it how to display. Have you reinstalled the drivers you downloaded?

Look in Add or Remove Programs and make sure there are no references to the old drivers...if there are, remove them again. When you reboot, boot into safe mode...this uses the Windows VGA drivers. You'll still get low res, but it will be 16bit...a little better to look at. Then install the new drivers from Safe mode.

I'll look into different drivers, but those you downloaded match both the video device and the North Bridge chipset...that is supposed to be a good thing...

wannabe1

Advertisements

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I rebooted into Safe Mode this time and I got the same problem
It says 'Could not find a driver for your hardware.' again. Even in safe mode, my computer was installing some things again automatically. I don't know if this is the problem but it's kind of annoying.

All I need is to update my video card, I didn't know it'd be this complicated haha.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Joeturf...

Usually, drivers are not this big a problem...I'm not sure what's going on with yours. I have checked and double checked the reports and the drivers available to that hardware configuration...they all point to the drivers you downloaded.

Do you have the cd's that came with your machine? I would be particularly interested in one with ASUS printed on it...

wannabe1

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I don't have the CD's right now. Actually, my sister gave this computer to me after she got a laptop I will ask her if she has the CDs later since she is not home right now.

The thing is the autoplay stopped working after I installed Starcraft, it worked fine before. After I installed it, I tried installing Broodwar and it did not work so I rebooted. Then I found my sound wasn't working, and the autoplay wasn't showing up. I know I said this in my first post but I'm just wondering if this is a problem outside of my driver. Because my video card has never had problems like this before, it just happened now.

Edited by Joeturf, 15 January 2006 - 03:50 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The autoplay won't matter...not right now anyway. The disk I described will have the original drivers on it...for the sound, video, and motherboard chipset. What I'd like to do is put the board "back to factory" condidtion.

We can try reinstalling the motherboard chipset drivers if you'd like. Video runs through the North Bridge on the board...sound through the South Bridge.

wannabe1

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Okay I'll try to find those disks ASAP. That might work because it's a little strange but I think for some reason some files were deleted because my sound was fixed after the update added just a couple files...

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I think I have fixed it, I have finally found a way to update this driver, it was so easy to find. It is adding files now, I will report back shortly with the outcome.

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Okay, that worked! I double clicked Broodwar, heard the sound, SAW the screen. Thank you!!

If you're wondering how this giant ordeal was fixed by such a simple solution :-/ here's what I did..

1. Right-Clicked My Computer
2. Clicked Properties
3. Hardware tab and Device Manager
4. Expanded Display Drivers
5. Double Clicked my NVIDIA
6. Clicked Drivers Tab
7. Clicked Update Driver
8. Then I saw it updating files and waited
9. Rebooted
10. Works!

So easy to do, yet so hard to find? My problem was I kept on searching inside Sound, Video, and game controllers, since that's what SEEMED to be causing the problem but it wasn't. I looked in Display because I was thinking 'Wow this isn't working I should just try display' and it works :tazz:.

Thanks again for all your guys' help!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Doh!

Typical case of overlooking the obvious in favor of the more complex! :tazz:

Good troubleshooting, Joeturf! And thanks for posting your resolution here so others can benefit! :)

wannabe1