Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

motherboard

• Please log in to reply

foxlighter

foxlighter

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
been thinking of building my own computer system, now what i want to know is what sort of motherboard
do i need, i have been looking st nvidia, now i dont know much about nvidia but the thing which most bothers
me is the cpu +fan+processor, is it a hard thing to do, or is it easy to do, i have put new parts into my old system, like DDR 333, memory + new radeon graphices xl card+new skystar2 satellite tv card, so i know
how to do things to my system, but never built my own, has anybody els done this and give me some advice
about doing it, but i think its the motherboard which is the most important thing to buy first, i want to buy a good motherboard for about £100 any help on this subject

Attached Thumbnails

• 126p.jpg

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Google is a good way to educate yourelf as to what is involved in a computer build. There are easy to read/follow step by step guides that will come up in google searches. As for what motherboard, well it all really starts with what CPU, AMD or Intel. That defines what motherboards to look at. Here are some links you may find useul in your research: http://forums.amd.com/ http://www.hardforum.com/index.php?
http://www.pcper.com/
http://www.theeldergeek.com/
http://www.geeks.com/
http://www.monarchco...nt2/merchant.mv

Personally I like AMD, and three out of my four at home computers are AMD. Two of my AMD systems have Gigabyte motherboards and I am happy with those. Lots to choose from, all depends on what processor you want. Use google, do your research, decide how much you want to spend and go for it. There are sites that custom build computers that have configurators where you can design your own system, see what the possible components are and how much it costs for someone to build it for you verses you doing it yourself. You don't need to spend as much money as Alienware wants to charge to get a really great system. Get to google'ing and have a good time!

Edited by austin_o, 14 January 2006 - 07:49 AM.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Hey Austin.
This is just kind of off topic but I think you may be right peson to talk to and it is good time to bring up.
Personally I have always build my own machine but have never use AMD. Understand that it has alot to do with personal experience but can you tell me some about AMD compare to Intel in your view.
Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm gonna move this to system building

foxlighter

foxlighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
im thinking of building my own computer,but the thing which turns me of building my own system is
putting the cpu fan+processor onto the motherboard, now in my philips computer there is this fan and
under that is the processor and there is two bits of thin tin which you have to connect to the motherboard
to hold the thing to the board,how divicult is it to do this, with out causing damage to the board, i can do all the rest but not this,and another thing is has anybody els got a AMD motherboard and could thay tell me some good things about this kind of board

Attached Thumbnails

• 2235p_b_Flags_of_The_Confederacy_Posters.jpg

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi mcpscomp. Those first two links I gave are a good place to go for information on AMD. The AMD forum has a multitude of information, everything from system building, over clocking, motheboard information and everthing in between. The PC perspecitive forum has duscussion forums on both AMD and Intel. Which is better? Just my humble opinion, and you know what they say about opinions (yes, everyone has one!!) AMD. One good reason is you can get equal or better than Intel performance at a lower cost. You can, if you choose, tweak processor settings and over clock (I don't but many do). I like the freedom that AMD gives to the end user to do that if they want. Can't do that on Intel. Mind you this is just MY opinion but based on what I have learned and read, many agree with me.

foxlighter

foxlighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
yes i know these are good websites but there are USA websites, what about english computer sites

Attached Thumbnails

• 040_sm0011_b_Farthest_Shore_Posters.jpg
  • 3d_seastorm_01_s.jpg

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Thank Austin.
What I beleave is what the guys who actual use have to say. Personally I appreciated your oppinion.
Thank Again.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There hexus but there isnt all that many british sites that have all that information, some will but they wont be as big, it doesnt really matter where they come from the chips are the same and the hardware is the same except from the price.

There a few advantages to AMD they have the memory controller on the chip which means they have one less thing on the motherboard and its also very effiecient compared to the intel memory controller. They produce less heat due to the lower clock speeds enabled by the greater efficeincy, and as Austin said they are much cheaper, gamers also prefer them as they give better performance. Intel chips have an advantage because of the hyperthreading which doesnt benefit games or your everyday software vut it helps for people using high end video editing apps and audio encoding and it improves the time taken for those, if you do that kind of thing you can get an X2 whihc redresses the balance somewhat on the weaknesses of AMD these are also alot cheaper.

I also prefer AMD but there are some occasions where an nitel is apporpriate there just isnt as many of them and you need to have a budget no option most of the time to go intel because they are much more expensive than the equivalent speed AMD. Intel are bringing out new chips call robson and are supposed to be adding proper 64bit rather than just extensions and fixing there dual cores so we will have to see if they can close the gap with AMD which is starting to run away from them intel have only survived this long because of money they have bought off alot of companies in the past.