Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox - "connection has timed out"

• Please log in to reply

gem_84

gem_84

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi everyone,

Wondering if you could help explain why two websites which I visit regularly will no longer load in Firefox, or IE as of last week. They have always worked fine but recently this message is displayed:

The connection has timed out

The server at www.clickmusic.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

The site is available to other users, I have checked with them and everything is apparently fine. As far as I know my firewall should not be preventing access, because I can view any other sites with no problem.

The other site I cannot view along with clickmusic.com, is www.thisisfakediy.co.uk.

Any explanations or advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Gemma

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
hi gem welcome to geeks to go,
ok some bad news:thisisfakediy.co.uk is shut down, i took your suggestion that they wher on the same server and i was unable to do the trace on thisisfakediy.co.uk beucase it was inactive, on the other hand clickmusic.com is well and active. could you please click the link below and tell me if you can see it.
http://72.14.203.104...:clickmusic.com

gem_84

gem_84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I can see that link with no problems.

It may be www.thisisfakediy.com instead of .co.uk, or is that also inactive?

Thank you,

Gemma

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
THISISFAKEDIY.CO.UK is not active either acording to my sources. although i am able to accsess it, Wierd.

ok never mind that though. this may just be an issue of adding these sites to your trusted sites list in your antimalware program.

please add the folowing ip to your trusted sites/ip adresss list in your firewall:217.158.171.56. that is the ip for clickmusic so once that is add you should be able to accsess that site :) . let me know if that works :tazz:

Edited by Mile Runner, 27 January 2006 - 05:33 PM.

gem_84

gem_84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thank you for your reply Mile Runner :) .

I realise this is going to make me look incredibly stupid :tazz: , but I am currently running AVG, Ad-aware, Spyware Blaster and Spybot - and cannot find the trusted IP section on these programs to add the clickmusic address. I've added it to the 'trusted sites' section on IE, but that's it so far.

Where abouts should the address be added and on which program in particular? I apologise for my severe lack of computer knowledge!

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
first off i whould like to thank you for thanking me for the reply, its polite members like you that make us countinue are supprort. :tazz:

ok first of you dont look increadbly stupid, because very veiw people know that much about malware things, infact all of the people that work with malware on this forum go through regeris training.

i am going to contact a staff memer who knows a little more about malware and antimalware programs then i do, so that i make sure we get you the correct response. also as a Geek U underclassmen i am not autorized to give malware advice.

gem_84

gem_84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
That's very good of you thank you.

The help everyone gives on here is much appreciated let me assure you! You all do a fantastic job :tazz:

I'll keep looking through the menus on each program and see if I can find it!

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Using Windows Explorer (right-click your Start button and go to "Explore"), please go into this folder:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

You will see a file called HOSTS (you will see other files with hosts in the name but we're only concerned with the one in caps).
Double-click it and choose to open it with Notepad.

Copy what it says and paste it here.

gem_84

gem_84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi Michelle,

I've looked in the folder as you explained, but there is no file with HOSTS as the file name.

There is:
hosts
Imhosts
networks
protocol
services

I have not opened any of the above files as they do not fit the description :tazz:

Thank you,

Gemma

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Hello Gemma :tazz:

Ok, go ahead and open the one that says hosts in notepad and copy what it says.

Let's also try this: Open SpywareBlaster, click Disable all protection then try going to the sites that you are unable to access. It shouldn't be preventing it, but we'll try anyway. Remember to enable protection again if it doesn't work. Let me know :)

Advertisements

gem_84

gem_84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi Michelle,

I have disabled all protection and tried using both IE and Firefox, I was able to clickmusic.com, but I'm still unable to visit thisisfakediy.co.uk.

Here is the file named hosts:

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Thank you for your help!

Gemma

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
What happens when you go here? Same thing?

http://www.thisisfakediy.com

gem_84

gem_84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Yep, same thing I'm afraid. "Page cannot be displayed" in IE, and the page had timed out message in Firefox :tazz:

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
It may have something to do with your ISP. I have no problems accessing either site in FireFox and I have all protection enabled in SpywareBlaster and I'm running SpyBot, SpySweeper, and NOD32 anti-virus. So it's not your protection programs causing this..

Out of curiosity what version of FireFox do you have? Help > About FireFox and it'll say the version right under "FireFox".

gem_84

gem_84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm running version 1.5 :tazz: