Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Defragmenter won't work

• Please log in to reply

The_Wanderer

The_Wanderer

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey,

I don't know when this started happening, probably just lately, but my Disk Defragmenter won't work. Everytime I click either Analyze or Defrag, an error box comes up and saids Disk Defragmenter couldn't initialize. I tried using Scandisk and rebooted, but that did nothing. I also did a virus and spyware check, with the Disk Defragmenter still not working. I used Registry Mechanic and fixed all the invalid keys and still nothing. Help, please? Thanks.

Edited by The_Wanderer, 14 January 2006 - 09:11 AM.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Hello! :tazz:

Please try the instructions here.

The_Wanderer

The_Wanderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey,

I tried that and now it saids Disk Defragmenter Could Not Start. Exact words. Any other ideas? I tried using Diskeeper 9 Pro and it saids the samething as well. Besides the obvious option of maybe reinstalling Windows, will any 3rd party defragmenters work good as well if my default defragmenter is whacked? I also have Ashampoo WinOptimizer, which I started using after Diskeeper went haywire, but it never stops defragmenting lol. It keeps on and on.....

Edited by The_Wanderer, 14 January 2006 - 09:49 PM.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Please back up your important files before trying anything just in case.

Could you then boot in Safe Mode and try it again? Just press F8 a few times before the Windows boot screen (black background with XP logo & progress bar) comes up, and you should get a list of options. Choose "Safe Mode".

but it never stops defragmenting lol. It keeps on and on.....

That isn't good. How long did you leave it? After you back up, try it again, and leave it for a few hours (may take over 2 if it is really fragmented) and see if it makes any progress. If it doesn't, XP may be too corrupt, and the only solution is a reformat (but don't yet until we tried everything).

Edited by Pi rules, 14 January 2006 - 10:36 PM.