Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starts for five seconds, shuts off

• Please log in to reply

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Boy, I really have done myself in this time. This machine has run stable for the past 4 years. Have added memory and changed out the video card in recent past. Yesterday I, dumb me, decided to take it apart and clean everythng.

Today, after reassembly, the machine starts and runs for five seconds. NO activity on monitor, CD lights flash, then it shuts down.

Repeated several times , always the same outcome.

So I removed all the PCI boards, leaving only the AGP video card installed. Same outcome. (Board does not have onboard video)

Hard drive appears to spin up, but it is hard to tell in five seconds.

Clean up involves brushing off the dust and wiping the surfaces with a paper towel - not wet.

Fans were washed with brush and running water. Both fans (case fan and Heat sink fan) work fine after re-installation.

I also took care to be sure that any possible static was discharged before working, and power was disconnected from the case when I was working on it.

It is possible tat I re-installed the PCI boards in an order different from that of when they wre removed. Could that create a problem?

Should I reset CMOS? :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
make sure everything is plugged in....then reset the cmos....it never makes sense to mey why taking everyhing out of the case with the pwoer off...effects the CMOS but...it almost always does

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks, that was the trick!