Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking 2 computers

• Please log in to reply

ilovecolgate

ilovecolgate

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I have a dell dimension 4700 which has windows XP. Also, a Windows 98 gold edition in the rrom next to it. We have a router(not wireless) and both of the computer have internet. I was wondering how to network them that way it can share files and print from the computer without the printer. Do you know how or any goodlinks that can help me do this. I'd appreciate it. Thank you

Windows Xp sevice pack 2, Windows 98 gold edition

ISP is dsl company

I have a linksys router that networks the internet but i would like to network the computers

It is wired (not wireless)

SBC D-link card

i have not done anything yet to network them besides the internet

Edited by ilovecolgate, 14 January 2006 - 09:53 AM.

Advertisements

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
http://www.youthtech...eprintshare.htm
http://security.uchi...ios/index.shtml

ilovecolgate

ilovecolgate

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I do not thinks those really helped. I am trying to network a 98 to an xp and those didn;t have real good instruction. I need like networking 101.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Do you care which computer is the HOST computer?

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
You should probably use your Xp.

Edited by iamnotsure, 14 January 2006 - 08:54 PM.

ilovecolgate

ilovecolgate

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
the xp

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

You should probably use your Xp.

Indeed -- I just wanted to make sure you didn't need it to be your Win98 computer.

The fact that you already have both computers on the Internet would suggest that you have at least a modicum of network connectivity.

On the XP computer:
  • Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Setup Wizard.
  • The first thing to do when the wizard appears is read the welcome message, and then click Next.
  • Read the 'Before you continue....' message, and then click Next.
  • Select the option This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or another computer on my network, and then press Next.
  • Now, type in a Description for your computer; ie: Host Computer.
  • Enter a Computer Name (or leave it as it's Default), and then press Next.
  • Enter a Workgroup Name -- or leave it as it's default, and then press Next.
  • Select the option Turn on file and printer sharing and press Next.
  • Check the information; if it is all fine, press Next.
  • Now, if possible, you should Create a Network Setup Disk -- once you have created a Network Setup Disk, insert it into your Windows 98 computer, and run it; follow all prompts.
Now that your LAN should be setup, it is time to enable File Sharing:
On the Windows XP PC:
  • Click on Start and then select the Control Panel; or go to Start --> Settings --> Control Panel.
  • Double-click on the Network Connections icon.
  • In the new window that appears, right-click on the Local Area Connection icon and select Properties from the menu.
  • In the Local Area Connection Properties window, check that the General tab is selected. Under the 'This connection uses the following items:' section, check that File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is listed and make sure that its checkbox is checked. If it is listed, the computer is already configured for file sharing; click Cancel and skip to the next step -- If it is not listed, then:
    • Click the Install button.
    • Click once on Service to select that option.
    • Click Add.
    • Click once on File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks to select it and then click OK.
    • Click Close.
  • Enable 'File Sharing' -- to do this, right-click on any Drive/Folder (ie: D:\ Drive), and select 'Sharing and Security...'. Under 'Network Sharing and Security' check the box beside 'Share this folder on the Network', and then click Apply.
On the Windows 98 PC:
  • Click on the Start button, and then select Settings > Control Panel.
  • Double-click on the Network icon. In the window that appears, make sure the Configuration tab is selected. If you do not see the Network icon, click on the view all Control Panel options link on the left side of the window.
  • In 'The following network components are installed:' section, if you do not see File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks listed, then:
    • Click Add.
    • Select Service and then click Add.
    • Select File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks.
    • Click OK.
  • In the same window, click on the File and Print Sharing button.
  • In the dialog box that appears, check the box next to I want to be able to give others access to my files. Check the box for I want to be able to allow other to print to my printers.
  • Locate the folder to be shared.
  • Right-click on the folder icon and choose Sharing from the menu that appears.
  • In the Sharing tab, select Shared As.
  • Folders have 3 possible levels of access to choose from.
    • Read-Only - allows others to read, but not make changes to the folder. If you select this option, choose a password for the folder and type it into the Read-only Password: field.
    • Full - gives others full access to the folder--i.e., they can both read and make changes to it. If you select this option, choose a password for the folder and type it into the Full Access Password field.
    • Depends on Password - If you want some people to have read-only access but others to have full access to the folder, you can maintain two passwords, one for read-only access and the other for full access. If you select this option, choose two passwords, and type each password into the appropriate box.
  • Click OK.
  • The folder icon will now change into a folder resting on an arm -- indicating that it is being shared.
Can you now share files between the two computers? (Note: We haven't setup your printer as of yet.)

Also, you may need to turn off any software firewalls on the two computers.

ilovecolgate

ilovecolgate

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Thanks for that but yeah... we need to do the printer

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
If you are able to successfully share files, then do the following.

On the Windows XP PC please do the following:
  • Click Start --> Control Panel --> Printers And Other Hardware --> Printers And Faxes.
  • Click the printer you wish to share.
  • Click Share This Printer in the Task Pane.
  • In the printer’s Properties dialog, click the Sharing tab.
  • Make sure that Share this Printer is selected.
  • Press Apply.
On the Windows 98 PC please do the following:
  • Click on Start.
  • Select Settings.
  • Click on Printers.
  • Double click on Add Printer.
  • Click Next to begin the wizard.
  • Select Network Printer and click Next.
  • In the Network path or queue name type in the path of the network printer you are trying to print to. Alternatively, if you do not know the name of the printer, click Browse and select the printer you want to print to.
  • Click Next.
  • Keep the default name of the printer in the box.
  • Select either Yes or No on the Do you want your Windows-based programs to use this printer as the default printer option, depending on whether you want it as a default printer.
  • Click Next .
  • Click Yes to Print a test page.

Edited by Dan G, 15 January 2006 - 07:28 PM.

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
That was excellent help!

Edited by iamnotsure, 15 January 2006 - 06:47 PM.

Advertisements

ilovecolgate

ilovecolgate

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I cannot network the printer

I get to the wizard and then when it says enter the path i click browse and my computer freezes. I went to search to try to find the host computer(XP) but it can't find it but yet i can still share documents. I have a main folder to share with and i save a document on the 98 in the shared, then run over to the xp and it is there. I do not think it is a networking problem. What should i do.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
ilovecolgate,

Could you please try to explain that again; I didn't really understand you, sorry.

I get to the wizard and then when it says enter the path i click browse and my computer freezes

I'd suggest restarting your computer into 'Safe Mode with Networking' and then attempting to run the wizard.

ilovecolgate

ilovecolgate

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
ok,

# In the Network path or queue name type in the path of the network printer you are trying to print to. Alternatively, if you do not know the name of the printer, click Browse and select the printer you want to print to.[quote]

That is where i have trouble. Because I do not know the network path I click "Browse" and out of the 5 times i've click "browse" it froze 5 times It just isn't working.I hope you can understand what i am trying to say. It is a little confusing

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
By the way i tried to go do the safe mode with networking and this computer does not have that option.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
ilovecolgate,
Sometimes it is necessary to install the printer on the Client computers first -- to do this, you need to attach the Printer to your Windows 98 computer, insert any CD, and install the relevant software -- once you have the printer installed, you should then be able to reconnect it to the XP computer, and then share it.

I'm not sure why your wizard would freeze, but try the steps above to see if that helps.

By the way i tried to go do the safe mode with networking and this computer does not have that option.

Do you need help? Are you having networking issues?