Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP I CANT SEE ANYTHING WHEN I REBOOT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

boy9enius08

boy9enius08

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok this is what happen i installed windows XP SP2 on my WIN XP CORP system then it asked me to restart so i did so when i restart the color quality wont go above 4bit so it looks like i am in safe mode tho whole time. So then i made a mistake and stopped the video driver and now when i restart i can see anything but the start up screen then it goes black but the pc is still runnin through its processes and all
i tried recovering it but it wont allow me to start in any safe mode and i cant use a bootdsk becaus i have no floppy unless i can make a cd version please let me kno thankyou

can i simply just put a new video card in and let it find new drivers for that or is there something else i can do

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi boy9enius08...

Please post us your system specs. Is this an OEM machine (HP, Dell, Compaq..)...if so, make and model number please. Is the video card you "stopped" the one that came with the machine or was it added later?

If the machine isn't booting to Windows, installing a new vid card really isn't going to help at this point. We'll need to get you up and running first. Get us your specs and we'll get you running.

wannabe1

boy9enius08

boy9enius08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
thanx but i fixed it i found away thanx tho but i have another problem but ill ask it in a new topic

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad you got it figured out... :tazz:

Care to share your resolution with us? It may help others that have this problem...

wannabe1

boy9enius08

boy9enius08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
sure well since i have 2 hard drive in all one with 2000 on it i just booted from there and started installing windows XP on there when the options game up like assesbility and advanced i cliked one of them and you can choose to allow setup let you choose the hard drive you want to install to (since i didnt have a bootable disk) this allowed me to boot from the disk basicallly and when it found the other hard drive with windows XP on it i simply repaired it and it was done|. everything went back to normal ... sorry i couldnt be more descriptive i should have took what i learned about prevenative maintnence and copied what i did down for feature problems lol i learn more ad more everyday i just completed ciscos A+ course at my school now i have to get certified

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks, boy9enius08...

The Repair installation would have been my first suggestion, but it isn't always available on OEM cd's (hence my request for system info). For future reference, you can accomplish the repair by booting from the installation cd.

Good luck on your Certification! :tazz:

wannabe1

boy9enius08

boy9enius08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
lol yea but its not bootable lol it isnt oem ; ) thats all i will say

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

lol yea but its not bootable lol it isnt oem ; ) thats all i will say

I think you said enough right there.. we don't condone the use of pirated software ESPECIALLY someone that is enrolled in GeekU and possibly becoming a Staff Member at some time !!!!

Murray

boy9enius08

boy9enius08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
yea thats y i didnt say that and i didnt have the money at the time to purchase it or believe me i would since im only 15 and all i needed it for educational purposes and just in case so ya kno

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
This thread is closed due to illegal software..

Murray