Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply

oldmanjb

oldmanjb

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Dell P3, 996MHz, 384 MB running XP SP2. Have two HD, a Seagate 100 GB (C:) and a Western Digital 80 GB (D:), both partitioned for NTFS. When I first open Explore from Start, it takes approximately 30 seconds before D: drive even shows up. Also, when I dig down into folders to where files are listed. When I right click on a file the cursor sticks on 'Send To' and Explore hangs up. I have to go to Windows Task Manager and End Task in order to unfreeze. This is a new phenomemon, both the slow recogniton of D: and the hanging - so I suspect they are related. Anybody ever have this issue and any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks.

oldmanjb

Advertisements

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hey,

It might be running slow because your computer's memory is almost full. A good way to check this is to right click your C: and click on properties. You should have an ample amount of free space left. If your memory is pretty close to full..
Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and try removing every program that you don't use anymore. It should respond a bit faster.

oldmanjb

oldmanjb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the response. Both drive have ample free space, 84GB on C: and 53GB on D: I'm having the same problem on my laptop, and it has ample HD space plus 1GB RAM. Perhaps its related to something in my startup configuration as displayed by msconfig - I've disabled many of the startup items, but I haven't attempted to mess with any of the Services items - and there are a ton loaded (some running, some stopped).

Oldmanjb