Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASUS A8N - Premium Installing Problems

• Please log in to reply

labboy

labboy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey Everyone,

OK This is what I installed into my case (I have done many installs):

Asus A8n Premium Board
Athlon64 4000+ CPU
2 Asus Nvidia 6800GT 256 SLI Cards
2 Corsair PC2100 1 GB sticks
COOLMAX "SLI" CXI-500B ATX v2.01 500W Power

I installed everything and in a test run (just CPU, memory, PSU hooked up) I turned it on, but the power LED flashed really fast and it made a low clicking noise, the fans seem to be working though. So I just figured it was because I didn't have everything installed and put everything in, even though my instincts told me otherwise. Same results once every component was put in. I called Asus and they told me that either my PSU is bad or the board is bad. I have a new board on the way, but I have a feeling that it isn't my PSU or the board, maybe I hooked something up wrong, I am not sure. I doubt it, but has anyone else had these same results, power led flashing fast and a low clicking noise? Please help!

Thanks!

Edited by labboy, 14 January 2006 - 02:18 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you looked at the other peoples posts on here with the asus board theres been a few ths week.

PSU ive never heard of is it a generic?

As s random point you know you would have been better and cheaper using a pair of 6800GS cards over the GT.

labboy

labboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey,

Coolmax is a good brand, they make good cases and what not...

It was recommended to use on some sli convertion site I went to. Why is my problem indicitive of a PSU problem?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The PSU can cause alot fo problems so its good to eliminate all the possibilities, theres alot of companies that make allright cases yet still stick in rubbish PSUs. Why are you using PC2100 ram when its a PC3200 compatible motherboard.

try this:

By Doby

BIOS beep codes

1- Make sure you have a case speaker connected, if you are getting 1 long continuous beep this indicates the system can’t find usable ram, reseat the ram, try different ram or try the ram in a different dimm slot

2- 1 long 2 short indicates video error reseat the video card, try another video card

Nothing on the screen with no beeps

1-Make sure the hs (heatsink) is installed properly, tight with thermal paste applied
2-Make sure the cpu fan is connected to the correct header on the motherboard
3-Clear the cmos by unplugging the computer removing the battery then move the clear cmos jumper from pins 1&2 to 2&3 for 10 minutes
4-Replace the battery and move the jumper back to pins 1&2
5-Verify all motherboard jumpers are set correctly
6-Verify all case connections are correct ( case switch ect.)
7-Verify the power supplies 20/24 pin and 4pin 12v are tightly seated to the motherboard

Still won’t go

1-Remove all drives and cards except the video, remove front sound and usb
2-Repeat the above
3-The idea here is to get the computer to post and boot into bios if after doing so you are able to get into bios let the computer idle in bios for a while and watch the temps and voltages.
4-If everything appears normal load the bios defaults and make sure to save and exit
5-Now add the drives and install windows then add the remaining cards

Still won’t go

1-Remove the motherboard from the case and place on a piece of cardboard
2-Install only the cpu with hsf, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, psu, video card, case switch and case speaker
3-Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
4-Repeat the above and power on
5-If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

If all the above fails to produce a post start a topic in the Geeks to Go hardware forum explaining what you have done and listing your full system specs

labboy

labboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey,

I got PC2100 RAM because it is cheaper than the PC3200, I only had so much to spend... As far as I know, it is backweards compatible, right? I was planning on getting better RAM in a few months.

I have a new board coming Monday and I will test it. I do honestly think the refirbed board I bought is bunk.

I will try a new PSU if this new board doesn't work either obviously. It is a replacemtn PSU form my new case and was recommended on newegg and a few other places [bleep] a good PSU.

I'll let you know how it goes and thanks for your advice.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
PC2100 isnt cheaper than PC3200 it just depends what you are going to get good pc3200 certainly but you can pick up cheap PC3200 for less(also the p2100 sticks will probably be older and the older 1gb sticks were more prone to errors), you could have afforded it if you hadnt spent so much money on other stuff especially the gfx cards 9 times out of 10 its cheaper and better just to buy one good card than two mediums(only exception is 6800GS). it is compatible but these boards from Asus are fussy buggers with what you put in them.

When you put it together try it with only one card first and one stick of ram. If it still doesnt work try it out of the case on a bit of carboard with the minimum stuff.

labboy

labboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey again,

I see what you are saying, but my PC2100 RAM was manufactured in August of 2005 by Kingston. It is not that old. Also, I buy everything form newegg and over the years, they offer the best prices and customer service. I have a few other minot sites that I still use, like jncs.com, but the higher priced items are not as cheap as they are on newegg. Respectivly 2 GB of PC2100 RAM compared to PC3200 RAM only denotes a small increase in effeciency on the mobo and system itself. It will be upgraded to 4 GB of PC3200 within 2 months. I know it is the mobo that is bad. When I called Asus they were very confused (well tech support in general usually is) and said my board is bad after working up the upper echelon of stupidness in their organization. My backup plan is the PSU, but like I said, several sites said it is a good buy for my system. In my 25 years of building systems, when a PSU is bad either 2 things happen: the computer will not turn on at all or it will but within a few hours to days you have hardware failure, usually the HDs. I have not seen it too often but the handful of times I had either a faulty or ineffective PSU, those 2 incidents occur. My new board will be here tomorrow hopefully and I will hook it up. I did everything with the old board as you mentioned, even before you posted it to no avail. So I am hoping my 2 possible solutions are the key to getting this system to work. I'll let you know how it goes...

Edited by labboy, 15 January 2006 - 02:00 PM.

DrMD

DrMD

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Labboy - I recently had a number of problems with the ASUS SLI premium board, that sound somewhat similar to yours. It could be a problems with the memory that you are using. One way to know is to install outside the case the powersupply, CPU and memmory before doing anything else. If you get the onboard ASUS audio to say 'system check - video failuire' it is not the memmory. If you get no apparent POST, pull the memmory and it should say 'system check - memory failure'. In figuring out what was wrong with my build I have come across a number of folks that have had apparent memory incompatability with this board. Make sure Bios is up to date, try other memory or try another board were three solutions that have worked. I'm not sure trying another board is a solution, but it was what I did, before someone smarter figured it out on this site.

I would definitely start with memory off of the ASUS approved list (although the XMS corsair 512mB x2 was what was giving me and others problems).

Good luck.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I think everyone can learn the lesson for the future dont buy Asus motherboards, sure they are great but more trouble than they are worth and they are no better than the other motherboards so i would go MSI, ABIT, DFI or Gigabyte compaines with a good reputation Asus has a good intel reputation but not for AMD and we can see the reason why.

labboy

labboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey I had different PC2100 RAM made by Crucial and tried it in the system, nothing. I understand that AMD may not have a good rep with Asus, butr I have heard so much about this board, I am sure it will be worth the wait.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its a good board its just nothing special its a good all rounder but they donyt have a speciality to put them ahead of the game, MSI has its ultra reliabilty and core cell dynamic overclocking, DFI has its mad hatter super overclcokability, Abit has the excellent cooling and cool looks. And then its reliabilty lets it down.

Although i still dont quite get the logic in your ram, 1gb of pc3200 is better than two of PC2100, also check out with asus on the 4 gigs of memory im sure its one of the boards that gets a speed drop to DDR333 when the slots are maxed out which you would have to do to get 4 gigs, maybe im thinking of another board its been ages since i read the manual on that board.

labboy

labboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I see what you are saying about the RAM, but I will upgrade it by Feb. I just got it to get me started basically. I will use this other RAM in my daughter's computer when I get the new stuff.

This board was recommended to me by many people. I know Asus was crap in the past but they have made a good come around with SLI. They are touchy, but in my opinion from what I have seen, worth it.

My new board will be here on Weds. Let's hope it works!

labboy

labboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey,

The new mobo worked and everything is up and running. thanks for your thoughts and advice. Lesson learned, don't ever buy a refurbed board without seeing it first!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Glad you got it goin, refurbs can be a risk at times but it can be worth it as the money you save can sometimes be substantial.