Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Windows XP Start-up

• Please log in to reply

AlvinLee

AlvinLee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone,
My problem started with the installation of the new xp update from 1/11/06. I Tried to turn on my computer but found that my computer freezes on the start up screen with the xp logo and the blue progress bar. The progress bar continues to go, but my computer stops working and stays with the progress bar forever untill I hit the power off button and restarts manually.

The most intersting part of this problem is I have had this problem before, and it usually takes me 2 or 3 times of restarting, and the problem usually goes away, and I am able to go to the welcome screen. However, this time, I am not able to go anywhere after my 34th time of restarting and telling the computer to either start normally or start with lask know good configuartion.

I also ran a system restore in safe mode to restore back to the way the system was before the service pack, but that didn't help.

I opened up my computer thinking it is dust, but that wasn't the problem. So I am stuck and don't know how to fix this.

Here are the things I have access to:
Safe mode
System restore
and basically everything exept my normal windows OS.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi AlvinLee...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Can you log in as the real administrator, not the administrative account? Tap Control -Alt -Delete twice at the welcome screen (should work in safe mode) If you have XP home that came preinstalled the admin password might be blank. If you installed XP yourself, you should remember the admin password it prompted you to type during the setup procedure.

If you weren't using MS auto-update, did you do the MS update "custom" or "express"? If you selected any new hardware drivers or other optional downloads, please let us know. One easy way you can check is by going to "safe mode with networking" and visiting the MS update site again for your history.

Johanna